[x3d-public] loadURL browser object SAI function proposal

GPU Group gpugroup at gmail.com
Wed May 30 06:05:59 PDT 2018

IIRC Browser.loadURL(url,param) is from vrml days and some desktop browsers
support it in x3d.

Browser.send() Browser.recv() might be useful additions.

-Doug

more..

here's a spec comment I made in April about distirbuted interactive
simulation (DIS) component, which suggests using a separate bridge module
outside web3d specs to talk DIS and convert to node synchronization via
Browser.send/Browser.recv.

spec comment on DIS

======================================

Problem: to get navy and military support, web3d needs DIS and/or HLA
components. We have a DIS component. But its a tiny fraction of the whole
DIS standard. And no HLA. A disappointing subset of those 2 sim specs, yet
even with a small subset web3d.org browser developers complain and haven't
broadly implemented the current few DIS nodes. How disappointing.

Solution:

1. For desktop add to javascript SAI: Browser.send(), Browser.recv()

- can be used to sync Script node fields between x3d browsers

-
http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19777-1/V3.3/Part1/functions.html#ScriptImplementation

- prepareEvents() - called each frame, call Browser.recv() from here

- call Browser.send from each inputOnly event function

- Non-DIS goal: synchronize the Script node fields between 2 browsers, by
sending and receiving the fields

- can use non-DIS, non-HLA wireline protocol and udp local broadcast IP
address

2. for html profile, use websockets, same as #1, (similar to websockets Don
was thinking about)

3. specify an external DIS-X3D bridge, and HLA-X3D bridge

a) bridge-script node: syncrhonize structs in the bridge with the Script
node

- script eventOuts are routed to keep Transforms up to date, and those
transforms are like the espdu transforms

b) The bridge could be in the desktop browser in another thread

- or an external program

-- benefit: fewer web3d browser developers would need to grunt through the
bridge development if they could share code

-- they just need to do the Browser.send, Browser.recv

- or for html profile in a nodejs server

The DIS and HLA bridges could evolve to support more of the DIS and HLA
standards

- implement any simulation-agreement specifics

- use the #defines in the header files from moves institute (hard to do in
x3d ie deadReckoning='DIS:DRM_FVW' is awkward in x3d)

- if one browser implements both current DIS Component and Browser.send,
Browser.recv, then it can act as a bridge for other web3d browsers

Benefits:

1. much easier for web3d browser developers to support if they can share a
bridge utility

2. there are other uses for Browser.send, Browser.recv, such as having fun
syncrhonizing nodes in 2 browsers, more motivating for non-MIL browser
developers to implement

3. DIS bridge can evolve to support more of the standard without having to
drag web3d.org speccs with it,

thereby supporting more of the DIS specs

4. HLA bridge can be added using same Browser.send, .recv synchronization
techniques.