[x3d-public] Fwd: [TC-Announce] OGC and Khronos Form a Liaison to Improve Interoperability between the Geospatial and 3D Graphics Communities

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 11:37:06 PDT 2018

Thanks for sharing. Apart from AR/VR, I think this liaison has to be
seen in the context of glTF which has roots in Cesium, a leading
virtual globe.

GIS has a complicated relationship with 3d and it will be exciting to
see if there will be a more concerted effort to leap out from maps to
3d space.

ESRI has its own 3d technology and standard. QGIS, a leading
opensource GIS alternative, just started to have some 3d viz.
capability. When QGIS 3 is completely stabilized, I may continue to
develop my QGIS processing toolbox for flexibly generating geospatial
X3D scenes from GIS rasters and coverages:

https://github.com/andreasplesch/QGIS-X3D-Processing

Best,

-Andreas

Andreas Plesch