[x3d-public] Setting up GitHub mirror of SourceForge SVN repository

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 12:32:00 PDT 2018

Of course, nobody wants to introduce a patented technology into the
standard. This would be disastrous.

However, I see this concern as independent from my dream outlined on
https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/Allow-to-propose-the-specification-improvements-publicly%2C-using-something-like-GitHub-pull-requests
. My idea is simply about allowing people to more easily submit
contributions to the specifications. My point of view is that *all*
contributions, whether 1. submitted by an an anonymous individual through a
Web3D "spec comment form", or 2. submitted by a company that is a Web3D
member (and claims that this work is royalty-free, otherwise there would be
no point in submitting it to X3D standard)... they both must go through the
same review process. In both cases an independent person, acting on behalf
of Web3D consortium, who is technically and legally "literate", must check
whether this contribution is valid, and really preserves the royalty-free
nature of the Web3D specification. And a community input in this process
can only help. "Given enough eyeballs, all the bugs are shallow".

So my dream is to allow everyone the same, maximally comfortable, way to
submit corrections to the X3D specification.

And we can see an excellent example how this approach works in case of
Khronos when they design glTF specification.

Browsing through their https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF/ , including
commits, issues and pull requests, one can be amazed at how transparent
their whole process is. Navigate into any "pull request" to see reviews,
discussions, etc. They have 601 closed pull requests, out of which 548 were
merged (IOW, there were proposed, reviewed and then applied using the
standard GitHub "pull request" workflow). And that's only for the
specification. There are additional repos for glTF-Sample-Models ,
glTF-Tutorials , glTF-Blender-Exporter ...

It is inspiring, and I admit that in my dreams, X3D process gets closer to
what Khronos is doing when they develop glTF.

I absolutely know that we share the same goals, and I'm quite sure we'll
get to great things in X3D :)

Regards,
Michalis

pt., 26 paź 2018 o 20:22 Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) <brutzman at nps.edu>