[x3d-public] netbeans 9 released! X3D-Edit forecast

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Oct 28 18:05:37 PDT 2018

Thanks John.  Yes it is getting closer.  I tested Netbeans 9 about a month ago.

Mercifully everything looks familiar and they haven’t done any major surgery.  Rather all the work has been about replacing prior source code under the hood, refactoring (perhaps thousands) of classes under Sun/Oracle license into open source Apache-license Java code.  They’ve been working well over a year on this, it is valued by a lot of people and going full open on such a potent application is a giant step.  Overall Apache Netbeans 9 is still in incubator stage.

http://netbeans.apache.org<http://netbeans.apache.org/>

All that said, it looks like the Netbeans plugin system isn’t upgraded/ready yet.  I checked again last Friday, still not updating.  Status:

https://netbeans.apache.org/plugins

Also found that somebody is moving our update server around at NPS, need to investigate. Ouch.  Basic downloads should still work.  Curiously Google search still stumbles on “X3D-Edit” even though we were finally able to upgrade the Savage server https certificate a number of months ago.

https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit<https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit/>

You are right to flag X3D-Edit as an emerging opportunity.  If anyone is interested in participating in helping us port to Netbeans 9 Apache, I recommend checking out the source (via subversion) and trying to build it.  We’ll help others figure it out and commit changes if the current documentation or build files are insufficient.  Everything is unrestricted non-viral open source under Web3D license.

Future plans are straightforward:
- upgrade X3D-Edit 3.3 to Apache Netbeans 9.
- join, participate in that community.
- publish X3D -Edit application and plugin updates to Apache Netbeans infrastructure.
- incrementally add support for missing X3D v3.3 and forthcoming v4.0 nodes.

Lots of interesting possibilities!  For anyone interested, there is no time like the present to get ready.  “Luck favors the prepared mind.” Louis Pasteur

Have fun with X3D!  😀

v/r Don

Sent from my handheld device