[x3d-public] Pattern to drive algorithm to generate X3D procedurally

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Fri Sep 21 10:23:57 PDT 2018

John,

Do you want to generate X3D or procedurally generate a scene which is
translated/converted/exported to X3D?

If you try to directly generate X3D you will need to encode all of the
rules of X3D and the heuristics of good scene generation and scene-graph
layout into your generator. If you stick to generating the scene, you
can focus on higher level concepts.

As Tom pointed out, there is procedurally generated geometry and lots of
success has been achieved with vegetation. There is a lot of success
with procedural animation (see Massive).

Leonard Daly

> So here’s what I’m thinking.  I can have a pattern or family of
> patterns which an algorithm uses to generate X3D procedurally.
>
> Do you think this will work?  What other patterns/algorithms could be
> created?
>
> There might be something in UML?
>

> I believe “pattern” is the right word, but you might choose something
> better.
>
> Thanks,

*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant