[x3d-public] ScreenSensor [VR]

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 11:00:07 PDT 2019

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 9:59 AM Leonard Daly <Leonard.Daly at realism.com> wrote:

> [Removed all but the most recent post in thread. Previous post at http://web3d.org/mailman/private/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-April/010460.html]
>
> Andreas,
>
> [..]
>
> Independent of the above, how would this work in an stereo immersive environment (headset)?

I would envision that you have your laser wand or controller which is
the pointing device, grab your geometry at which point the tracking
plane is determined as the plane normal to the current viewing
direction and anchored at the intersection of the laser and the
geometry, and then use the wand/controller to drag the geometry in
this tracking plane. I think it would work quite intuitively. For
support, a browser could perhaps visualize a transparent tracking
plane during dragging, sort of similar to the typical laser line
visualizing the orientation and pointing direction of the wand.

This reminds that VR likely and AR definitely would need a
HandDragSensor which just uses the avatar hand's position to move
around things, without shooting rays anywhere. This requires that that
there is actual tracking in space of the controller (or that there is
an arm model which guesses controller position from its orientation).
The higher end models have that. There would be no need for a tracking
plane and intersections. Changes in orientation of the controller
could be used for an additional rotation_changed event.

Perhaps X3D should have a default arm model for VR, perhaps scaled by
the avatar size ? The idea is that most of the times controller
orientation is only somewhat controlled by the wrist but mostly by the
forearm. So reaching out in front of you means tilting down the
controller, and vice versa. I think there are standard arm models ?
The arm model links the position of the hand to the head, in case the
hand position is not known independently.

-Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch
Waltham, MA 02453