[x3d-public] AttributeErrors we can and can't fix in X3D Python

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 13:40:55 PDT 2019

Don, please respond.  I will take a break and get coffee, I’m getting a bit irate and need to calm down.

I think Don commented on this in another email, not sure.   Don, please read carefully.  Many (most) of the *.future.py python programs are bombing out without creating any output.   This is hidden because we have 2 serializers called from xml2all.js writing to the same XML/X3D filename in generated code.  The PythonPipeliningSerializer.js is the the program that generates *.future.py files.  The *.future.py files write the RoundTrip files (the same for both serializers, per someone, not me).   We can use the *.future.py files when we move to the pythonapi/ “research” pure Python API.  I don’t think we can use the pipelining code found in *.future.py with PyJNIus.  It plain doesn’t work.  If you have many multiple examples that do work, please send me the python files that do work (zip is fine). Be sure to test your case with the python interpreter first (remove the roundtrip file before that).

I refuse to work further on the *.future.py and will delete the PythonPipeliningSerializer.js from the pyjnius folder soon, likely next week, unless reality sinks in.  I don’t think there’s any clean way to program pipelines without some modification to pyjnius/JNI to get actual return type from the instance to return from python proxy functions.   I do not want to maintain the PyJNIus code at all, it’s beyond my intelligence level nearly.

Note that all the classes found here are abstract or interfaces.  As far as I can tell, the methods listed are not available in the interfaces, only in subclasses, which Java “magically” finds.

If I’m reading the X3DJSAIL API wrong, let me know.

Please find a way for the ant script to bomb out if a python program fails.

John