[x3d-public] requesting help for python configuration

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 22:41:45 PDT 2019

I note that the @x.setter is pretty much required to come after the @property.  This means you can’t have a setter without a getter.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Peitso, Loren (CIV)
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 4:54 PM
To: John Carlson
Subject: Re: requesting help for python configuration

The trendline seems to be in the right direction John!

Okay, we will move in 2 directions.  Maintain the existing Pyjnius X3DJSAIL API, and also continue on a research pythonic API that is uses assignment statements to set values. Then we need someone to write all property functions.  Per that, here are the specific codes that need to be added to packagemanager.py in pythonapi, so we can generate all these things (DRY):

                [ in setter function]

        str += '    @'+fld+'.setter\n'
        str += '    def ' + fld +'(self, value = ' + self.getDefault(field) +  "):\n"
        str += self.settervalidate(field, "value”)
        str += '        self.'+private(fld)+' = value\n’

        str += "        return self\n”
return self not needed for Python setter, it should only return None from the implicit return, there might be something to discuss with respect to the validator calls, but I don’t know enough about what you have on the Java-side already, and the rest of what is required for a fully-Pythonic robust module implementation to know for sure.

                [ in getter function ]
            str += '    @property\n'
            str += '    def '+ fld + '(self):\n'
            str += '        return self.' + private(fld) + "\n"

This is essentially what Loren suggested at first.

We may have to do some wiggling (change other functions) to make some fld’s private (with private()) and some not. This is a global concern of the code.

There is no true private in Python, it just is not a goal of the language and that means everything can be accessed everywhere if someone wants to bad enough.  We indicate a desire for programmers to treat a variable or method as private with a leading double underscore.   The @properties work within this limitation to eliminate almost all of the accidental mistakes in updating essentially public instance variables.  We use self.varname to add a new public facing instance variable (personally I only add instance variable in the __init__method, but the language will let you add them anyplace if you know how.)  Then we can add some protection to the underlying data through the properties.

The property/setter pair build a mapping between that public facing instance variable’s symbol and the property/setter function calls. They keep the actual data in a shadow instance variable (typically) with double underscore prepended to the varname (self.__varname).  All programmers wishing to interact with the instance data just use the public symbol, and the interpreter manages the property/setter calling/substitution.  This way nobody can ever forget to call the setter properly, or even need to know if a setter exists at all; you just use the public variable symbol.

We also have arrays and lists (add/remove) functions in our X3DJSAIL API.   How do we make those Pythonic?

While I don’t have a ‘workable’ answer off the top of my head, NumPy is an example of doing this.  Source should be available, although it won’t be Java all the way underneath.

Um.  Can python support overloading?  It can with pyjnius.   We many need overloading.

pyjnius fakes overloading, based on my quick scan, creating if/else structures to disambiguate and call a generated matching signature function as appropriate.  More Pythonic is to pass in multi-args using *args or **kwargs and resolve those internally in the method body and avoid extra function calls.  So both the “meat and potatoes” API and the “research/pythonic” API are workable with varying loads of effort.

Question. Do we add assignment methods to the X3D Python standard, since they are nearly unsupportable by pyjnius (requires at least 2 PhDs)? My vote is to leave it out of the standard, or add it to a higher profile or component, so not everyone has to implement it.  Thus this means that the PyJNIus X3D API is “good enough” for the standard. If someone complains, we ask them to implement assignment methods. Meanwhile, we will be building steam for the next version of the standard, once we get more python programmers on board.   Then we will not be having to implement “overloaded” assignment methods in the short term.

if by assignment methods you mean property/setter pairs I agree and also concur they should not be specifically called in the X3D standard.  They are best practice implementation goals of a particular language binding.  A deeper question surfaces from that though…   Should any part of the X3D standard “force” a "hard-coded" API look-and-feel via hard-named setters and getters, or should the standard enforce the specific names for fields and require accessor and mutator behaviors supported by the target language implementation?  Any standard update that statement could create should not make any currently compliant implementation change anything, it just removes language specifics from forcing something on a different language to the detriment of a clean implementation

So X3D Python X3DJSAIL is our “meat and potatoes” API, where we will try to implement at least limited chaining, and property assignment is our “research/pythonic” API. Can we reach agreement on this statement?   We can also work towards combining the two.

I think in the future-future what gets learned making the initial “research/pythonic” API will make it possible to go there in one automagical double-shot starting with the “meat and potatoes” API as the first step.  A lot of the “research/pythonic” API differences are going to be straight syntactic transformations.

I do not like how difficult it is to set up a PyJNIus environment.   We need to work on that.

Since we cannot properly call the set/get Java methods from a pythonic interface, we will declare the two styles of setting/getting non-interoperable for now.  One will store values in Java and the other will store values in Python.

well you can properly call the Java-side easily enough, and get correct java-side behavior, it just does not come across as Pythonic in a first pass should not be inside a property/setter pair until it is possible to expose the necessary info to the interpreter.  The Pythonic implementation needs extra massaging to integrate into what the interpreter expects on the fly in order to use properties to manage instance variables.  I have not done low level module dev targeting an alternate language underneath, but it is done often by others.  So it can be Pythonic but at some non-trivial extra cost in development.

DON:  the future syntax doesn’t work unless you use the “research” API.  FYI!  Make the serializers write to different filenames.  Or at least look at the error output from *.future.py files

DON:  The problem is that in PyJNIUs, the Java methods return concrete instances with abstract class type, per Java.   We need research into PyJNIus on how to deal with this in a clean way.   PyJNIus autoclass() doesn’t seem to be doing the trick, so maybe we can use jnius.cast’ing, which will be a horrible mess I think (Imagine each set call being cast to a value with the cast function.  When you use the simple API, you are using assignment, which knows how to resolve the interface to the concrete class.  If you want to try without abstract classes, merely move the sai part of the python org tree out of the way.  If you look at the new imports for abox.py and abox.future.py, you will see that they use the concrete classes.

On the Python side this may be less of a problem than it looks.  A duck is a duck.  And Python dynamically duck-types.

Kivy (pyjnius) help is available on discord at https://chat.kivy.org/  I tried signing up, but haven’t figured out how to enter the chat room yet.

I am thinking the simple style of API is the best one for use with PyJNIus, until python assignment expressions are available. If someone wants to put the effort into the python pipelining serializer to add jnius.casts,  I’m not stopping you.

I’d like to work on the research API, FYI (we need 2 implementations for a standard, right?).  It’s found in “pythonapi” next to our pyjnius implementation. We should probably move it up next to the java folder.  I’ve already produced 2 versions of the PyJNIus, and I feel a bit stuck on it.

Is a Python API itself really a standardization goal?  Or is a better goal a way to either show a Python implementation of an existing standard, or learn how the existing standard needs to be tweaked to make it more standard and amenable to multiple language implementations?

Is there agreement that the new import’s style and directory structure is appropriate?   Comments?

from xxx import as y  give me the heebee-jeebies from a Python point of view.  Stuff that is imported is also inherently flattened within Python, and ‘as’ does not help when using from-style importing.  I STRONGLY suggest only using import xxxx as y  syntax and sucking up the necessity to use the ‘y.’ when accessing functionality from module y.  The work it takes to ensure from xxx import as y does not break something at runtime (because it will happily import and overwrite stuff silently) is probably far more than dealing with the prepends, and even then there is no guarantee that the java-code symbol names won’t make this galactic-ally hard.

And I have yet to find guidance that says anything other than avoid importing from anyplace other than the current directory: meaning no path semantics in the import statements (just in case tat is what you meant by directory structure). Either import a module/file from the current directory, or import a module that is installed into the base Python distro with pip.   I have tried breaking that for running grading scripts and it is full of fail and sorrow, none of the try-this workaround stuff has worked for me.

v/r  Loren

I’m too tired to continue on this email. It is what it is.

[...]

John

Sent from Mail for Windows 10