[x3d-public] Is there even a *case* for client-side 3D at all??

iam here iamhereintheworld at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 10:05:22 PDT 2019

Hi,
I've posted to this list before, I'm a newbie to X3D and have been (off and
on) trying to get to grips with it. However, as yall may be familiar with,
Google has announced the upcoming launch of their streaming gaming service,
Stadia, while MS has something called xCloud. So, what I'm wondering about
is, after the advent of things like this, with God knows how much power
available on the server-side, *is there even a case* for things like X3D,
where the number crunching will be done on the CLIENT??
It all boils down to how many folks have high-end horsepower in their
homes, and how many do not, and I can safely say that here, in my country,
there are HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of people who don't have say, a spanking
Nvidia 2080 on their tables at home! But I don't have hard data on the
overall situation, the *worldwide* scenario.... (btw, *data* here is dirt
cheap, in case anyone wondered.)

What's the consensus *here*, on this list? I have great respect for what
you guys *DID* with X3D, but....if there's no case for actually *using* it
because it gets obsoleted by the likes of Stadia, then....it'll be a sad
day, I guess. Of course we don't know what Google's *pricing* will be,
but....that's hardly a lifeline. Also, these are not the only 2 there are -
check something like *this*: www.liquidsky.com , which looks pretty nice.

So - is X3D doomed? :(