[x3d-public] Is there even a *case* for client-side 3D at all??

Joseph D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 27 16:10:11 PDT 2019

➢ and have been (off and on) trying to get to grips with it.

What is not gripable? There is geometry, there is texturing and coloring, there is moving stuff around, and there is the user interacting with the stuff, and the stuff interacting with other stuff. All this is organized into a system that has come along way to the present levels of widespread use and maturity. How has the idea of realtime interactive graphics changed over the last 40 years? Has x3d been left behind in a field where its only intention is to see what actually works and standardize on best practice, and be free, and be readable. The basic list is pretty much the same for any authoring and simulation system. And, if you check, you will find that the basis for x3d, which is basically the open gl, then you will see that the core design thinks of a server based system. Mainly, I think, because the idea is to serve up complete frame of the simulation, to represent one time.
All Best in your quest,
Joe