[x3d-public] JavaScript Python parser in ANTLR 4.7 anyone?

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Apr 28 17:27:34 PDT 2019

John thanks for all the great planning and efforts.  Exciting!

Recommend being very clear on inputs, outputs and programming language.  I think you are talking about something written in Python that reads .x3d (which is XML) for conversion to another representation.  Not sure though.  Tricky business sometimes to be precise but very important.

Based on current progress I will add a -toPython export serializer to X3DJSAIL.  This would also let a Python programmer do all manner of construction coding to create a new X3D scene and then simply export the source code for the result.  As we compare to Dr. Aono's code and tune the X3D Python syntax, we can align our converters to match best practice.

I mis-remembered and misspoke on one thing:

On 4/28/2019 4:34 PM, John Carlson wrote:
> Eric Schmidt has worked with ANTLR in school.

Actually according to his Wikipedia page and other references:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Schmidt
"As an intern at Bell Labs, Schmidt did a complete re-write of Lex, a software program to generate lexical analysers for the UNIX computer operating system."
"During his summers at Bell Labs, he and Mike Lesk wrote Lex,[17][21] a program used in compiler construction that generates lexical-analyzers from regular-expression descriptions."

The Lex & Yacc Page: Lex - A Lexical Analyzer Generator, by M. E. Lesk and E. Schmidt
http://dinosaur.compilertools.net/lex

Wikipedia, Lexical analysis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexical_analysis
"In computer science, lexical analysis, lexing or tokenization is the process of converting a sequence of characters (such as in a computer program or web page) into a sequence of tokens (strings with an assigned and thus identified meaning). A program that performs lexical analysis may be termed a lexer, tokenizer,[1] or scanner, though scanner is also a term for the first stage of a lexer. A lexer is generally combined with a parser, which together analyze the syntax of programming languages, web pages, and so forth."

CONTROLLING LARGE SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT IN A DISTRIBUTED ENVIRONMENT
SCHMIDT, ERIC EMERSON. University of California, Berkeley, ProQuest Dissertations Publishing, 1982. 8312962.
https://search.proquest.com/docview/303230196/abstract/DA3C483E222440C2PQ/1
https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=910669