[x3d-public] what is xml good for

Joseph D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 30 18:10:19 PDT 2019

HI John,
A while back I think you asked what is xml good for, so now I have a good one.

The hanim standard v2 provides a standardized definitions for ‘standard’ humanoid skeleton space and ‘standard’ humanoid skin space.

The x3d object model for hanim first defines a ‘standard’ skeleton hierarchy having 5 levels of articulation. Mainly defined by the number of joints. The skeleton space is defined in terms of Joint center locations and dimensions for a ‘standard’ skeleton are given.
Second, the model provides a systematic reference to define  a ‘standard’ humanoid surface envelope where surface features are associated with the articulation structures.
The main idea is to use the given dimensions or personalize it.

Both the object model documentation and the HAnim v2 documentation include the ‘standard’ names and numbers and dimensions for skelspace and skinspace so I should be able to use some automagical tool to generate the basic ‘standard’ humanoid using the ‘standard’ information in the object model.

If we have a complete object model using xml as a base then we ought to be able to use xml tools to generate xml user code. In fact, isn’t this exactly what needs to be done to be able to produce a show from your imagination using certain basic expressive conventions. For example, if you say you want a humanoid in the scene then the first step is to get some example from which to innovate.

Anyway, hanim needs to develop the ‘standard’ hanim user code and we really need to see if the object model documentation is up to it. In this case the superclass is humanoid and it is consists of many levels of various choices and results. I think there are basically two ways to work on this:
one, to apply ‘standard’ human-produced working user code to the object model for validation and see what happens;
two, interrogate the object model and build a ‘standard’ humanoid working user code and see what it will produce.

I think I am close to having reasonable user code but have not yet applied it to the object model for validation, mainly because I want to see more about what the x3d hanim v2 schema can do along with xeduom.

Best Wishes,
Joe