[x3d-public] X3D Semantic Web minutes 19 August 2019: activities, SPARQL query results using Protege

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Aug 19 09:29:45 PDT 2019

0. *Preliminaries*

Attendees: Jakub Flotynski and Don Brutzman.  Regrets: Thanos Malamos.

We have resumed our weekly meetings, with continuing enthusiasm!

	X3D Semantic Web Working Group
	https://www.web3d.org/working-groups/x3d-semantic-web

Mission: "The X3D Semantic Web Working Group mission is to publish models to the Web using X3D in order to best gain Web interoperability and enable intelligent 3D applications, feature-based 3D model querying, and reasoning over 3D scenes."

Suggested motto, with thanks to Jim Hendler: "the answer to your question is the response to the query."  8)

Prior minutes include great detail:

* [x3d-public] X3D Semantic Web meeting minutes
   http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-August/011192.html

* [x3d-public] X3D Semantic Web Working Group minutes, Monday 5 AUG 2019
   http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-August/011167.html

1. *Workshops*

As reported separately, continued discussions and progress in preparation for

	Semantic Web Pro 2019, 3 décembre 2019, à Paris
	http://semweb.pro/semwebpro-2019.html

Those discussions also include multiple strategies for potential journal papers as this impactful work proceeds.

Jakub is preparing a submission presentation with progress.  Deadline is in a few weeks, 15 September.

Jakub also notes the following conference 11-12 December 2019 with deadline in mid-September.

	International Conference on 3D immersion (IC3D)
	https://www.stereopsia.com/international-conference-3d-immersion-ic3d

He is thinking of submitting a paper to this venue (similar deadline) and will have a draft for us to consider in a few weeks.

Anything that gains attention and participation in this group is good.  Meanwhile we must keep on going with the work itself!

2. *ISO Standards meeting*

Upcoming: ISO SC24 Graphics Standards Committee annual meeting 26-30 August in Takamatsu Japan.  This committee is where all X3D formal standardization takes place.

Informal discussions will include how an X3D Ontology might eventually be standardized as part of the X3D family of specifications.  This is an interesting new development, looking forward to learning what other ISO ontology efforts might exist.

Again wondering if Poland and Greece might become active national-body members in Standards Committee SC24.  We will ask for requirements and bring them back.

We will look at what standardization might be appropriate and bring back possible approaches for group consideration.

3. *Updated links*

We added the following links to page

	https://www.web3d.org/x3d-semantic-web-public-assets

* Metadata and Semantics for Web3D, workshop abstract, Web3D 2019
   Don Brutzman,Jakub Flotyński,Athanasios Malamos,Nicholas Polys,Leslie Sikos,
   https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/semantics/documentation/workshops/SemanticWeb3DWorkshop.2019July27.pdf

* X3D Semantic Web Working Group: Collected Concepts, slideset
    https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/semantics/documentation/workshops/X3dSemanticWebWorkingGroupCollectedConcepts.2019July27.pdf

* Sourceforge link
   https://sourceforge.net/p/x3d/code/HEAD/tree/www.web3d.org/semantics/
* https://sourceforge.net/p/x3d/code/HEAD/tree/www.web3d.org/semantics/ontologies/X3dOntology4.0.ttl

Repeated request: our working group needs a webmaster!  This is an interesting and rewarding role.

4. *Ontology*

Jakub has detected that some of our constructs might not have been captured correctly following his visit to NPS in July 2019.

He shared his earlier version, I performed diffs and the changes were part of our expected changes in the autogenerated ontology.

No corrections needed, no changes made today.

	https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/semantics/ontologies/X3dOntology4.0.ttl

5. *Queries*

We are testing with Protege 5.5.0

	https://protege.stanford.edu

Jakub experimented with some queries during the call... once fully tested he will send them by email for inclusion in the build.  For now:

https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/semantics/ontologies/X3dOntology4.0.ttl

====================================
Query 1: select all properties specified in X3D with their domains and ranges, which are X3D nodes
PREFIX rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#>
PREFIX owl: <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#>
PREFIX xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#>
PREFIX x3d: <https://www.web3d.org/specifications/x3d-4.0.xsd#>
SELECT distinct ?prop ?domain ?range WHERE {
	?prop rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty.
	?prop rdfs:range ?range.
	?prop rdfs:domain ?domain.
}
ORDER by ASC(?range)

This query results in many many nodes getting returned.

====================================
Query 2: select all properties specified in X3D with their domains and ranges, which are either X3D nodes or data types

PREFIX rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#>
PREFIX owl: <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#>
PREFIX xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#>
PREFIX x3d: <https://www.web3d.org/specifications/x3d-4.0.xsd#>
SELECT distinct ?prop ?domain ?range WHERE {
	?prop rdfs:range ?range.
	?prop rdfs:domain ?domain.
}
ORDER by ASC(?prop)

====================================

This shows us which properties are used, sorted alphabetically by property name.  A long response to a useful query!.  Screenshot attached.  :)

Not sure yet how to save text output...  Don will experiment with creating a SPARQL query file, running it as part of the build process, and logging outputs in version control so that we can review consistency and correctness over time.

====================================

 From before, some general examples:

- How many Box nodes are in a scene? (Shape, Sphere, etc.)

- How many cubes are in a scene? (i.e. Box nodes with size.x = size.y = size.z)

- are there any bounding boxes in a model?

- are there any Inline nodes? do they require X3D, ClassicVRML, VRML97, glTF etc.?
    e.g. hasInlineX3D, hasInlineClassicVRML, hasInlineVRML97, hasInlineglTF, hasInlineSTL ?

- Does a scene have any Metadata matching a given taxonomy?

- Metaqueries: what are possible properties that may be set for Shapes, Routes, Prototypes, etc.
    e.g. hasShape, hasROUTE, hasProtoDeclare, hasExternProtoDeclare,hasProtoInstance

    hasPrototype == hasProtoDeclare | hasExternProtoDeclare

And so on... we plan to build a rich vocabulary for model queries, then extend it across multiple X3D models (via Inline prototypes and ExternalShape), then extend it across multiple model formats.

6. *Pending requests to Web3D Webmaster*

	[Semantics] X3D Semantic Web Working Group: website requests
	http://web3d.org/mailman/private/semantics_web3d.org/2019-August/000057.html

No response seen.  These website corrections are still not complete.  Request repeated.

On 8/9/2019 8:00 AM, Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) wrote:
> X3D Semantic Web Working Group has carefully discussed the following issues.
>
> Request two changes to web3d.org site:
>
> 1. Make the following location accessible so that we can publish X3D Ontologies at a URL matching the Uniform Resource Identifier (URI).
>
> 	https://www.web3d.org/semantics
>
> similar to
>
> 	https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/
> 	/home/spi3der/public/web3d.org_x3d/content
>
> 2. Request creation of new mailing list
>
> 	semantics-public at web3d.org
>
> Thanks for all support.

No meeting next week.  Next meeting is Monday 2 SEP 2019.

Have fun with X3D Semantic Web!  8)