[x3d-public] Universal Media Element Library

GL info at 3dnetproductions.com
Wed Aug 21 15:14:14 PDT 2019

While a little bit on the subject of graphics and textures, let us remember about the Universal Media Element Library (UMEL) circa 1999, in case there is any relevance. Several high quality textures that were donated in the past and put in the public domain are still available at the URL below.

Of particular interest is the use of URNs as implemented (by me) in BS Contact (look in the cache settings), which allows for textures to be distributed and fetched from several locations including locally (ex. urn:vrml:umel:texture/wood/oak001.gif).

But this involved much more than textures, as code snippets and 3D objects were envisioned to be shared in much the same way, though I am not sure what ever came of it as far as X3D.

http://www.officetowers.com/UniversalMedia/index.htm

GL

* * * Interactive Multimedia - Internet Management * * *

  * *  Virtual Reality -- Application Programming  * *

    *   3D Net Productions  3dnetproductions.com   *