[x3d-public] Mayavi

Frederic Vogt frederic.vogt at alumni.anu.edu.au
Mon Aug 26 12:26:21 PDT 2019

Hi Don,

I’ve been using Mayavi for a few years to create my X3D models. As far as I understand them, the X3D export functionalities of Mayavi are actually those from the VTK X3D exporter, which it wraps around. These have (had ?) a series of annoying limitations which made the process of creating X3D models that way a bit too “manual” for my taste … However, the easy of use of this tool, which is very reminiscent of matplotlib, was more than enough to outweigh its disadvantages (in my opinion).

If anyone is interested, the following pages (and associated Github repository) describe my experiments using mayavi to create X3D models for astrophysics (including their publications in scientific journals): http://fpavogt.github.io/x3d-pathway/

This page in particular describes the different problems I encountered with mayavi, and my (not always efficient) work-arounds: http://fpavogt.github.io/x3d-pathway/dices.html

I do not know if the latest updates fix some of the issues described in there … I’ll need to check when I get some time. Mainly, it has to do with the fact that the exporter fails (failed ?) to deal properly with a series of items that Mayavi can create, including axes labels, etc …

Cheers,
Frédéric