[x3d-public] add 'hidden' field to Shape?

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Dec 12 08:23:52 PST 2019

A common task in 3D graphics is selectively hiding geometry.

X3D is fairly clumsy about this, typically requiring Switch or LOD animation to achieve it.

HTML has a much simpler approach, the 'hidden' attribute.  There is a similar construct in CSS.

	HTML5 6.1 The hidden attribute
	https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/interaction.html#the-hidden-attribute

As a similar way to simplify hidding, either for pure X3D or hybrid html/X3D, wondering if we might add a 'hidden' attribute to Shape.

	12.4.6 Shape
	https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD1/Part01/components/shape.html#Shape

	SFBool [in out] hidden FALSE

Might we add hidden to Shape?  Is there a better approach?