[x3d-public] add 'hidden' field to Shape?

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Dec 16 09:24:42 PST 2019

Further discussion during last week's X3D Working Group teleconference:

a. often there are use cases having to do with geometry, i.e. one mesh with varied appearances.  Might be better for abstract geometry types as well.  example: different light bulbs in a holiday display.

b. some nodes are not rendered per se (interpolators, sensors etc.) but have a description field which might be displayed in the browser interface somewhere.

c. often there are use cases having to do with groups of shapes, for example one tree among many is not yet visible until it is in stock.

d. common use case in CAD, HAnim, medical displays

Suggested approach: place 'hidden' field on X3DNode abstract type so that there is
- no ambiguity on display,
- simplicity of X3D authoring, and
- greatest possible compatibility with HTML event authoring.