[x3d-public] X3D MAR working group, 4 February 2019 notes

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Feb 4 09:47:54 PST 2019

[copy: x3d-public mailing list]

Thanks Mitch for leading another good constructive meeting today.

Attendees: Mitch Williams, Leonard Daly, Dick Puk, Don Brutzman.  (Anyone else?)

On 2/3/2019 7:04 PM, Mitch Williams wrote:
> Mitch Williams has invited you to X3D MAR wg, February 4, 2019, 5 pm pacific
>
> Title: X3D MAR wg, February 4, 2019, 5 pm pacific
>
> Location: conference call
>
> When: Monday, February 4, 2019 8:00 AM – 9:00 AM
>
> Organizer: Mitch Williams <Mitch.Williams at 3d-online.com>

> Next meeting of the X3D Mixed and Augmented Reality (MAR) working group is Monday, Feb 4, 8 am pacific time. New time is to work around Web3D meeting(s) in So. Korea.  It will be in the Web3D teleconference line. [...] Mitch

Links provided on request.  These documents have an immense amount of analysis and assets, all described in excellent detail.
* Meeting agenda
* Gap analysis

Here are my meeting notes.  Additions and improvements welcome.

Determining expected capabilities for X3Dv4.1
a. “Gap Analysis” seems premature since many APIs are still undergoing development.
b. Perhaps “Expected Features” or some other name is more appropriate.
c. Goal result remains: list of capabilities for inclusion in X3Dv4.1 Component or Profile.

Three active areas of work provide all information that we need. Different perspectives helpful.
a. WebXR releasing initial draft for devices, some things well defined and others deferred.
b. OpenXR is defining APIs for interoperability among hardware interfaces.
c. ISO Mixed Augmented Reality (MAR) Reference Model defining common requirements.

“X3D AR Demos” as goal for Web3D/SIGGRAPH 2019 Conferences is an excellent strategy.
a. Anybody can implement X3D + AR however they like, opportunity to influence everyone.
b. Art of the possible - extending X3D with capabilities of existing toolkits and HTML also.
c. Greatness is welcome. 8)  No permission or approvals from this working group is needed!

Regarding ISO MAR work
a. Baseline goal is abstract reference model describing mixed AR/VR in jargon-neutral way.
b. Numerous slidesets in recent Korea Chapter meeting describe much progress.
c. Draft ISO specification documents are sharable with Web3D Consortium members.
d. Gerry Kim of Korea University is group lead and willing to brief this group, example times are Wednesdays at 4 or 5 pm pacific (7 or 8 eastern), which is Thursday morning Korea.

Recent meeting announcement:
* Web3D Korea Chapter, Mixed Augmented Reality (MAR) Meetings Seoul 2018
   http://www.web3d.org/news-story/web3d-korea-chapter-mixed-augmented-reality-mar-meetings-seoul-2018