[x3d-public] beyond Blinn-Phong: PBR

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 11:50:20 PST 2019

1. As for TextureCoordinates: Each xxxTexture coordinate should be
accompanied by a xxxTextureCoordinateId , which is an index into node's
MultiTextureCoordinate (in geometry texCoord). I deliberately omitted this
for simplicity in my previous mail :), but in reality these are needed.

This is the approach that CommonSurfaceShader is using (
https://castle-engine.io/x3d_implementation_texturing_extensions.php#section_ext_common_surface_shader
) and glTF. CGE is already using it when converting glTF to X3D with
CommonSurfaceShader, so normal map can reuse or not reuse texture coords of
the base texture.

So, this is something we already can do easily. MultiTextureCoordinate is
simple and cooperates nicely with this approach.

2. As for reUSEing the nodes: Hm, good point. If you reuse textures, then
you probably reuse diffuse textures and specular textures and normalmaps at
the same time. All these textures must be prepared to work on the shapes
you're applying them on (e.g. having separate areas for each shape, if
you're reusing the texture to achieve texture atlas optimization).

Maybe, instead of Appearance.normalMap, it is better to just put normalMap
(and normalMapCoordinateId) in a base material abstract class (like
X3DOneSidedMaterialNode) and derive both Material and PhysicalMaterial from
it.

P.S. And change normalMap/normalMapCoordinateId to
normalTexture/normalTextureCoordinateId, these are more consistent.
CommonSurfaceShader also calls it normalTexture, I guess for the same
reason.

3. P.P.S. I deliberately avoided thinking for now what to do with
TwoSidedMaterial ;) Introducing TwoSidedPhysicalMaterial, for consistency,
feels uncomfortable -- it would be a node with many fields. Possibly new
node like GenericTwoSidedMaterial should be added, with two slots for back
and front  X3DOneSidedMaterialNode, with the requirement that they should
be the same class (that is, both front and back should be Material, or they
both should be PhysicalMaterial). I'm not convinced about the usefulness of
TwoSidedMaterial in practice (while it seems very useful for authors, 3D
software I know doesn't support it, so in practice you just create a
separate mesh with flipped normals, and a different material, which
nullifies the need for TwoSidedMaterial). So I don't have much of an
opinion here yet.

Anyway, TwoSidedMaterial is why we currently have X3DMaterialNode in spec.

Regards,
Michalis

niedz., 10 lut 2019, 17:10 użytkownik Andreas Plesch <