[x3d-public] Do modern browsers DO VRML??

cbullard at hiwaay.net cbullard at hiwaay.net
Fri Feb 15 15:15:48 PST 2019

Kaleidoscope.

I don't know your level of experience; so, YMMV.

X3Dom is a good start.  While not as feature rich as X3D, it is a good
core.   The web site has a set of excellent examples although there
are some bugs.   But free beer is free beer.

Declarative code with scripting is orders of magnitude easier.  The
lifecycle is better too when the time comes to migrate.   And that
time will come.  Real-time 3D is complex and expensive to make.  XML
encoding is a leg up.  An open international standard is all four legs
of the horse.

It has features that VRML97 did not such as reflections.  The VRML
encoding is easier on the hands typing wise.

The ability to use straight forward Javascripting, call backs, and
integrate those with HTML controls is very good particularly for those
who have been building HTML pages greatly reduces the learning curve.

Sitting on top of WebGL in the browser makes distribution and
development cheaper and easier.

Blender.   And there may still be copies of editors such as
Flux/Vivaty that work well.  If you haven't picked a text editor,
Notepad++ is free and has the features you need for XML.  Do pay
attention to bits like multiple quotes.  It's easy to make mistakes.

len