[x3d-public] Showcase: 3D maps showing sea level change using X3D/X3DOM

GPU Group gpugroup at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 08:04:34 PST 2019

I think its awkward and some things are missing from x3d geo nodes.
Lets say you have an elevationgrid in an arbitrary mapping plane, with
respect to geoid ie heights measured from sea level.
There's no node that will take that grid as it is and display it on a
spherical earth with the proper adjustments for curved ellipsoidal earth,
including geoid-to-ellipsoidal heights.
If it was a small grid, it could be positioned with a geoLocation node
http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/geodata.html#GeoLocation
But what about large areas where an uncorrected grid would be obviously
wrong? Victoria Island in the Arctic Ocean for example?
A similar problem if you keep your elevationGrid and use a GeoTransform to
bring an ellipsoidal earth into your regular scene.

You could convert all your grid points to GeoCentric GC coordinates
offline, and show it as mesh of points in GeoCentric coordinates. But that
makes it awkward / less sensitive to show sea level rise relative to geoid.
Normally we convert geoid heights to ellipsoidal heights to render in geo
space. So a (geoid following) sea would need to be a grid of points
following the geoid, and (somehow) mathematically scaled.

Perhaps on your page listing all of the locations/areas-of-interest, that
could instead be on a geo world, and each area an approximate rectangle on
it, with TouchSensor/Anchor. Then when someone clicks on an area, you go to
your current elevation grid page? Would that work in x3dom?

To do it all on one ellipsoid
A node type that will take your grid in sea-level/geoid relative mapping
plane coordinates which may not be UTM - may be some other mapping plane
especially near the poles- and do the appropriate conversion on each grid
point for rendering and collision/terrain-walking, and do that also with a
grid for sea level too, and provide a way to animate the sea level height
around the world and/or locally (animated geoid? Geoid as an exposed field?
geoid scale factor? special sea level node that includes tide modeling?)
... that needs work.

Doug Sanden