[x3d-public] Multiplayer strategies

GPU Group gpugroup at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 06:28:21 PST 2019

The DIS distributed interactive simulation component: I found it had some
interesting things, and some flaws.
x not x3d centric. Its a giant military standard, and a few nodes adapted
to x3d
-- a transform type node
-- some strange radio nodes
* uses UDP 'chirps' for updating positions /  pose of transforms (like some
multiplayer games)
-- OK if you miss a chirp - the next one will get you back on track
-- interpolators anticipate pose between chirps
-- no central server - anyone who logs in on that port can join and leave
at any time
x tries to use UDP chirps for one-time state changes
xx if you miss a state change you are out of sync
-- compensates with regular re-broadcasting of states vis UDP chirps
xx those joining late will have to wait for state broadcasts to sync-up
gathering ... and make something just right for x3d multiplayer.
-Doug Sanden