[x3d-public] X3D doesn't need plugins, right?

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Thu Feb 28 07:41:49 PST 2019

Hi iam,

At the time of writing the book, X3DOM wasn't available. The only way to
view X3D content was through a web browser plugin or a stand-alone
application (e.g., Xj3D). Since then (2007), X3DOM and X_ITE were
released that allow the handling of X3D content in the browser. A lot of
other 3D applications and functionality separate from X3D have also been
developed/released. You are not limited to just using various types of
X3D libraries to display 3D content in a web browser.

Leonard Daly

> Hi,
> I was reading the "X3D" book which I just received, it says in the
> first couple of pages somewhere that *plugins* are needed to view X3D
> in a browser - however I have tried out examples on the web of X3D,
> which worked, and I *definitely* don't have any plugins installed on
> *my* Firefox..... X3D doesn't require any plugins, right...? Maybe
> that text was left in the book from many years ago.....?
>
> Thx.

*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant
LA ACM SIGGRAPH Past Chair