[x3d-public] X3D Working Group teleconference 4 JAN 2018: Korea and WebXR meetings, annual report, INCITS H3, https for X_ITE

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Jan 4 10:09:44 PST 2019

On 1/3/2019 7:09 PM, Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) wrote:> Happy New Year!  We will resume our regular X3D weekly teleconferences this Friday.

> Many activities with excellent great progress are certainly happening.  8)
>
> Agenda: review annual report inputs, review upcoming Korea Chapter meetings in Seoul, and discuss any other big plans people might have.

0. Attendees: Anita Havele, Vince Marchetti, Dick Puk, Don Brutzman

Prior meeting minutes:

[x3d-public] X3D Working Group Minutes, 14 DEC 2018: annual report preparation, project wish list
http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2018-December/009759.html

[x3d] X3D Working Group Minutes, 21 DEC 2018: WebXR meeting planning, annual report, etc.
http://web3d.org/mailman/private/x3d_web3d.org/2018-December/007395.html

Mitch might you brief your latest progress on GearVRF X3D MAR next week?

1. Upcoming event: Web3D Korea Chapter and ISO Mixed Augmented Reality (MAR) meeting includes lots of emerging spec capabilities.

* Seoul meeting agenda updated online.  Wow.  Final review of preparations during next week's teleconference.

	Detailed agenda now available! #X3D #HAnim #VR #AR
	A Lot Is Happening. Web3D Korea Chapter and ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC24 WG9 meeting 21-25 JAN 2019, Seoul Korea.
	http://www.web3d.org/event/web3d-korea-chapter-and-isoiec-jtc-1sc24-wg9
	https://twitter.com/Web3DConsortium/status/1081247945255579648

2. Upcoming event: W3C WebXR meeting in Mountain View later this month.

Here is information from our prior teleconference.

* W3C Immersive Web Working Group
    https://www.w3.org/immersive-web
----------------------------------
Our Mission
We help bring high-performance Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) (collectively known as XR) to the open Web via APIs to interact with XR devices and sensors in browsers.
We work together with the Immersive Web Community Group in building the immersive web platform. Most new ideas start there.
The Co-Chairs of the Working Group are Ada Rose Cannon (Samsung) and Chris Wilson (Google). The W3C Team Contact for the Immersive Web Working Group is Dominique Hazaël-Massieux.

Face-to-face meetings, Upcoming:
      29th & 30th January 2019 at Samsung Research America, Mountain View, CA, USA
----------------------------------
WebXR Device API (status: unstable)
Editor’s Draft, 21 December 2018
https://immersive-web.github.io/webxr

WebXR Device API Explained
https://github.com/immersive-web/webxr/blob/master/explainer.md
----------------------------------

Interesting overview slides:
* WebXR: Bringing Immersivity to the Web, by Dominique Hazael-Massieux — W3C
    https://www.w3.org/2018/Talks/dhm-webxr-mws

Web3D has a partnered mutual membership with W3C.  Our membership testimonial for W3C:
https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Member/Testimonial/#t393
The Web3D Consortium, like W3C, supports open standardization. Web3D's open standards for real-time 3D communication include X3D, a powerful and extensible XML-based ISO standard for 3D visual effects, behavioral modeling, interaction and interoperability. Web3D membership includes companies, institutions, working groups and individuals.

W3C Member since 1 April 1999.

Our past slideset from the WebVR Workshop 2.5 years ago at Samsung Mountain View is part of prior workshop, online at

* W3C Workshop on Web & Virtual Reality, October 19-20, 2016; San Jose, CA, USA
    https://www.w3.org/2016/06/vr-workshop
    [360-degree photo attached]

* Session on Declarative 3D and 3D Object Model (Part 2)
    X3D Graphics and VR - Web3D Consortium
    https://www.w3.org/2016/06/vr-workshop/slides/X3dGraphicsVirtualRealityW3cWorkshop2016October18.pdf

X3D Graphics is proposing a discussion topic.

* X3D v4 is Web3D Consortium's evolutionary approach to add VR/AR and Mixed Augmented Reality (MAR) to the open-standard X3D scene graph.
* Camera, interaction, general content, user-specific etc. etc.  We have done a ton of design work already.
* Nicholas will follow up with words, he and Don will post to W3C.

3. X3D Working Group 2018 Report contributions

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VUMXWVKPeqy2Xwa5B6pBKpxcGiL_Hl8WcmSjkCQJUKM (includes links)

X3D Working Group Topics for inclusion in annual report follow - following useful discussion, accepted without change.

a. X3D version 4.0 is our primary activity, supporting HTML5 and DOM.  Our emphasis is on producing specification prose and multiple implementations: X3DOM, X_ITE, Castle Game Engine and (likely) others. Current activities include  glTF focus on geometry meshes, Computer Aided Design (CAD) interoperability, 3D Printing and 3D Scanning interoperability, Humanoid Animation (HAnim) specification update.  More capabilities are being added such as Projective Texture Mapping (PTM) and advanced graphics capabilities.

b. X3D version 4.1 is proceeding in parallel and will add Mixed Augmented Reality (MAR) capabilities for diverse virtual and augmented reality (VR, AR) devices.

c. Streamlined specification process is empowering much coordinated simultaneous work.
- Web3D Standards Strategy is being executed, royalty free (RF) for any use.
- Coordinated set of steadily evolving ISO standards are publicly available on the Web
- Multiple data encodings and programming language bindings are functionally equivalent.
- X3D Unified Object Model (X3DUOM) provides formal expression of all relationships.
- Building and updating ISO specifications and X3D implementations for JavaScript Object Notation (JSON), Java, C, C++, C# and Python programming languages.

d. X3D Semantic Web Working Group summary: charter is under review with Board of Directors.  “The X3D Semantic Web Working Group mission is to publish models to the Web using X3D in order to best gain Web interoperability and enable intelligent 3D applications, feature-based 3D model querying, and reasoning over 3D scenes.”

e. Ongoing activity and support for tools adoption of X3D and achieving correct conformance.  Many further activities are listed on X3D Projects Wish List.

f. Liaisons:
    W3C for HTML5/DOM and multiple Web standards,
    ISO SC24 for ISO coordination and ratification,
    JTC-1 Working Group 9 on MAR Reference mode
    DICOM and HL7 for health informatics
    ISO SC4 TC184 for formats for product data visualization

g. Korea Chapter activity holds fundamental importance. January 2019 meeting announcement lists many active research, development and application efforts.

4. Future Board of Directors agenda item:

Needed: restoring Web3D membership in INCITS H3 technical committee, the U.S. National Standards Body for Computer Graphics & Image Processing.  http://www.incits.org/committees/h3

* INCITS/H3 develops standards for computer graphics and image processing. INCITS/H3's area of work includes the standardization of interfaces, in windowed and non-windowed environments, for: Computer Graphics, Image Processing, and the interaction with and visual presentation of information.
* This technical committee is the U.S. Technical Advisory Group (TAG) to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24.
* Planning for the 2020 annual meeting is in progress, possibly host Harris Corp. in Florida
* Prior membership had excellent value to Web3D Consortium in that we were able to brief the status of X3D and HAnim specifications, gaining consensus and support for international ballots.  Some harmonization planning with other standards also occurred.
* H3 provides U.S. National Body inputs at our parent ISO committee, SC24.
* Members are industry leaders including Adobe, DCS Corporation (Bill Protzman), Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA), Harris Corp (middleware and geospatial applications), Intelligraphics (Dick Puk).
* Web3D participated informally for several years and then formally as a member for 2 years.

Recommendation: Web3D ask INCITS H3 for some form of mutual liaison relationship with Web3D Consortium, which is a US-based Standards Development Organization.

5. Progress report: X_ITE now supports https and handles Cross Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) restrictions.

Holger Seelig reports that X_ITE's new Content Delivery Network address starts with https://code.create3000.de/x_ite

Testing on https server works for me, am updating all of the Web3D Consortium examples to match.  Thanks Holger!

p.s. recent tweet with screenshots of interest

	https://twitter.com/Web3DConsortium/status/1079186162898497536
	X_ITE #X3D BROWSER: Have you seen this?
	v4.2.14 open-source JavaScript 6 by CREATE3000 includes advanced rendering, XHTML DOM integration,
	compatibility with Titania authoring tool. No plugins!
	http://create3000.de/x_ite/getting-started

6. New year's resolution: let's add 2 Mantis issues (budget 30 minutes) per weekly meeting.  One for X3Dv4, one for legacy.  This will lead to a list of technical capabilities that are ready for X3D, and how they are supported in the X3D specification in Github.

Next week we'll come up with the prioritized list of what issues to consider.

7. Looking ahead: conference planning continues for

	WEB3D 2019
	The 24th International ACM Conference on 3D Web Technology
	Los Angeles California USA July 26 – July 28
	Co-Located with SIGGRAPH2019
	28 JUL - 1 August, Los Angeles California USA
	https://s2019.siggraph.org

Having fun with #X3D!  All comments and continued progress welcome. 8)