[x3d-public] Euler rotation

Joseph D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 7 05:43:28 PST 2019

From: Albert Jan Wonnink
Sent: Monday, January 7, 2019 2:03 AM
To: John Carlson; Joseph D Williams; vmarchetti at kshell.com; X3D-Public
Subject: Re: [x3d-public] Euler rotation

➢ Hi Joseph,

➢ Thank you for your reply. Just to be sure: the context I meant to discuss is about having a convenient attribute in the declarative syntax, say 'euler', to set the initial orientation of the transform, so anyone can use either 'rotation' or 'euler'.
➢
➢ <transform euler="20 40 10" >
➢

Fine, Albert,
So the term euler would replace the term rotation and also be a different datatype than rotation?
The important technical and usage detail is accepting quaternions since probably the preferred internal form.
The main thing about degrees is that they won’t always work. That is why Euler moved on. If you are making video frames, then maybe ok to author or capture frame data in degrees but when you want to have some realtime or variabletime fun, then interpolation may not operate as expected or at all.

➢ So I interpreted Vince's $yaw, $pitch and $roll to be just placeholders, for manual substitution.

Thoughts about the use of pitch yaw roll names for the x y z rotation/orientation axes?
Just as a memory aid of course.
I described it as I found it in viewpoint where the default is gaze -z and hanim joint animations where the default is gaze +z.

➢ You are right using this with either radians or degrees would be equally simple.

Most simple and reliable using the x3d form thinking with radians, no doubt.  The x3d recognition of quaternions would improve x3d capability by being even more simple and reliable and also giving improved level of validation for rotation and orientation values.

➢ Regards,
➢ Albert Jan

Thanks for the thoughts,
Joe