[x3d-public] X3Dv4 Audio and Sound improvements: request review and feedback

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Jan 10 10:17:18 PST 2019

Athanasios reported that his team is working on advanced audio techniques.

We currently have the following audio and sound goals listed for X3Dv4:

	X3D v4.0 Development: Candidate Capabilities
	http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_version_4.0_Development#Candidate_Capabilities

* Audio and video: alignment with W3C Audio Working Group, especially for Web Audio API and Web Midi API.

	https://www.w3.org/2011/audio
	https://webaudio.github.io/web-audio-api
	https://webaudio.github.io/web-midi-api

** Considerations. Adding royalty-free formats, streamability, disabling attenuation, 3D aural spatialization using reflection from simple geometry (such as RESOUND).

	[X3D-Public] improved validation tests for sound nodes; add ability avoiding audio attenuation altogether
	http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2013-December/002681.html

	http://gamma.cs.unc.edu/Sound/RESound

**  Point paper. Strategies to Improve X3D v4 Sound Component for 3D sound model and audio rendering

	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4StrategiesToImproveSoundComponent.pdf

Additional considerations and references are welcome.  Are we on the right track?