[x3d-public] X3Dv4 Audio and Sound improvements: request review and feedback

Nicholas Polys npolys at vt.edu
Thu Jan 10 12:57:54 PST 2019

See also:

Micah Taylor and Francis Meng. 2018. Web-based geometric acoustic
simulator. In Proceedings of the 23rd International ACM Conference on 3D
Web Technology (Web3D '18). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Article 6, 5 pages.
DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3208806.3208817

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 1:18 PM Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) <
brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:

> Athanasios reported that his team is working on advanced audio techniques.
>
> We currently have the following audio and sound goals listed for X3Dv4:
>
>         X3D v4.0 Development: Candidate Capabilities
>
> http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_version_4.0_Development#Candidate_Capabilities
>
> * Audio and video: alignment with W3C Audio Working Group, especially for
> Web Audio API and Web Midi API.
>
>         https://www.w3.org/2011/audio
>         https://webaudio.github.io/web-audio-api
>         https://webaudio.github.io/web-midi-api
>
> ** Considerations. Adding royalty-free formats, streamability, disabling
> attenuation, 3D aural spatialization using reflection from simple geometry
> (such as RESOUND).
>
>         [X3D-Public] improved validation tests for sound nodes; add
> ability avoiding audio attenuation altogether
>
> http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2013-December/002681.html
>
>         http://gamma.cs.unc.edu/Sound/RESound
>
> **  Point paper. Strategies to Improve X3D v4 Sound Component for 3D sound
> model and audio rendering
>

> http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4StrategiesToImproveSoundComponent.pdf
>
> Additional considerations and references are welcome.  Are we on the right
> track?

> brutzman at nps.edu
> X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics
> http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman

Nicholas F. Polys, Ph.D.

Director of Visual Computing
Virginia Tech Research Computing

Affiliate Professor
Virginia Tech Department of Computer Science