[x3d-public] Sorry for not being able to attend today's teleconference, glTF stuff that I planned to mention

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 05:59:25 PST 2019

Hi,

My apologies, I will not be able to attend today's web3d
teleconference. I'm falling asleep after 24h of work :) Man, I thought
I'm stronger! :)

For anyone interested, I wanted to briefly mention what has happened
in Castle Game Engine / view3dscene about glTF. I can talk about it
next Friday, but those interested can also read links below:

- Castle Game Engine / view3dscene can now read glTF 2.0 (without
animations): https://castle-engine.io/wp/2018/12/23/gltf-2-0/ . Both
.gltf and .glb versions, images/buffers can be provided either as
separate files or packed into a single file. You can open glTF files,
you can refer to them using X3D "Inline" or "Anchor", you can use
view3dscene/tovrmlx3d to convert glTF to X3D. The resulting X3D uses
CommonSurfaceShader to express a Phong material with possible
normalmaps.

- I wanted to mention important "mismatch" between glTF and X3D, and
how we deal with it by a new "flipVertically" field at texture nodes
(like "ImageTexture.flipVertically"):
https://castle-engine.io/x3d_implementation_texturing_extensions.php#section_flip_vertically

- I wanted to mention "Appearance.alphaChannel", which is a CGE
extension to X3D:
https://castle-engine.io/x3d_implementation_shape_extensions.php#section_ext_alpha_channel
. It is generally useful (even if you don't care about glTF), and also
it allows to perfectly express the glTF "alphaMode" field at glTF
materials.

Best regards,
Michalis