[x3d-public] Good books

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Jan 13 19:19:20 PST 2019

Thanks for asking and for all responses.

On 1/9/2019 10:19 PM, iam here wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new to all of this, I was just wondering if there were any good books on X3D
We maintain a list of books on X3D and VRML at

	X3D Resources: Books
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Books

> I dug up ONE on Amazon, by Leonard Daly and Don Brutzman, but that one is from 2007! Isn't there anything newer which will explain the whole thing, starting right from the basics, through till advanced stuff?

I think that you will find our book X3D for Web Authors remains perfectly up to date, thanks to the high priority the X3D Working Group  has sustained on backwards and forwards compatibility for VRML and X3D.  We are very careful when adding new capabilities so that all existing content still works well.

The X3D for Web Authors book website includes links to all examples and also slidesets, videos and errata.

	http://x3dgraphics.com
	http://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors
	http://x3dgraphics.com/slidesets/
	https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSOnGlgAFxkWg8ilg-JEbAQ/playlists?view=1&flow=grid&sort=da
	http://x3dgraphics.com/errata.php

Another excellent book which has a full set of examples in all file formats (X3D, VRML, JSON, etc.) plus a SIGGRAPH 98 course online is

	https://www.wiley.com/legacy/compbooks/vrml2sbk/cover/cover.htm
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Vrml2Sourcebook

	https://www.sdsc.edu/~moreland/courses/Siggraph98/vrml97/vrml97.htm
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Vrml2Sourcebook/Siggraph98Course

Have fun with X3D!

> (there's another one on another site, by Jesse Russell and Ronald Cohn, which is much newer (2012) - is it any good?
> Thanks.
Hmmm.  I looked that up... it is a copy of old/defunct Wikipedia pages on a superceded version, apparently.  I wonder if those are their real names.  Not recommended.

=======
https://www.loot.co.za/product/jesse-russell-xj3d/khlf-2038-g220
"High Quality Content by WIKIPEDIA articles Xj3D is a project of the Web3D Consortium developing a Java toolkit/browser which displays the 3D modelling standard formats VRML97 and X3D. As of 16 April 2006, the stable release of Xj3D has version number 1.0."

Imprint: 	   Book on Demand
Country of origin: Russian Federation
Release date: 	   2013
First published:   2013
Editors: 	   Jesse Russell • Ronald Cohn
=======