[x3d-public] Number of nodes, standard vs X3DUOM

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Jan 21 13:14:38 PST 2019

Yes thanks for looking at the inventory of nodes and statements, that is an excellent sanity check.

The difference between v3.3 and v4.4 in the X3DUOM lists of ConcreteNodes and Statements is HAnimMotion node.  A diff shows that.  Also have attached a helpful diff display using XML-Spy showing that inventory differs by 1 node.

For anyone looking, all of these assets are in version control and published online at

	X3D Specifications: Schema and DOCTYPE Validation
	http://www.web3d.org/specifications

Not sure how rigorous the HTML document you attached might be - it has title X3D (Part 4: C++) language binding, which has not been formally reviewed by the working group yet.  Cursory inspection didn't reveal any mistaken entries.  Don't know if that page is manually edited (which is error prone for so many nodes) or autogenerated.  In general we have slowly been moving towards autogeneration of interface annexes like that, and such build scripts are in place already for X3D Java language specification.  We can do similar autogeneration of annexes for upcoming JSON and Python specifications.

Another set of useful autogenerated files which show all node names and default simple-type field values are

	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/AllX3dElementsAttributes3.3.xml
	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/AllX3dElementsAttributes3.3.txt

	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/AllX3dElementsAttributes4.0.xml
	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/AllX3dElementsAttributes4.0.txt

Excerpts:
<AllX3dElementsAttributes>
    <Anchor bboxCenter="0 0 0" bboxSize="-1 -1 -1" description="" parameter="" url="" containerField="children"/>
    <Appearance containerField="appearance"/>
    <Arc2D endAngle="1.570796" radius="1" startAngle="0" containerField="geometry"/>
<!-- All X3D elements and attributes, with default values, as defined in X3D Schema version 3.3 -->
    <Anchor bboxCenter='0 0 0' bboxSize='-1 -1 -1' description='' parameter='' url='' containerField='children'/>
    <Appearance containerField='appearance'/>
    <Arc2D endAngle='1.570796' radius='1' startAngle='0' containerField='geometry'/>

The attached diff between the .txt files reveals what nodes and fields have been added in X3Dv4.0 so far:  HAnimMotion node, and description field on the other HAnim nodes.

So our accounting is in good shape and we are progressing deliberately.  Next on TODO list, now that HAnim v2.0 is nearly done, will be the long-awaited ProgressiveTextureMapping component from Web3D Korea Chapter.  More to follow on review by X3D working group and community for that new component.

On 1/21/2019 3:16 PM, John Carlson wrote:
> If we added the list of statements to the concrete list, it would be close to the same.   Whew.
>
> John
>
> Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

Again thanks for checking on that.

One outcome of this week's meetings is that we will soon be making a list of available X3Dv4 implementation assets.

> Will we be moving X3Dv3.3 backwards when X3dV4 comes out?

Not sure what you mean by that?  X3Dv3.3 is stable.

We do not intend to pursue any modifications to that ISO specification, focusing efforts on X3Dv4.  When internal changes to XML schema, X3DUOM and DTD are possible for X3Dv3.0 through v3.3 that maintain long-approved scene content with improved validation power, they are applied.  This also helps us maintain consistent validation assets and perform validation tests if X3D Examples Archive scenes at all versions of X3D.

Have fun with X3D v3.3 and v4.0!  8)