[x3d-public] Question VR Cafe + X3D

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Tue Jan 22 12:56:17 PST 2019

Christoph,

A lot depends on what equipment you want to use. Most immersive headsets
work best at ~90fps. I would not want to rely on a phone to run at that
rate for any long duration of time, so that kind of eliminates the
cardboard (including Daydream, GearVR, etc.) types that use the phone as
the tracker and display. Whatever s/w you use needs to be able to output
stereographic (left/right) scenes.

The W3C's Immersive Web specification should be out by your time frame
with at least two browser support. That doesn't mean there will be any
X3D application support, but it may make a number of other choices
available to you.

Leonard Daly

> Hi all.
>
> Thanks for all hints received so far.
>
> However my main question was about VR.
>
> Are there any plans or is it already possible to use X3D Players with
> VR equipment?
>
> Does it make a difference whether I use "native" X3D Players (Contact,
> Instant Player, Castle Game Engine, ......) or "WebGL based" X3D Players.
>
> I will myself face this question actually earliest in 2020 I admit,
> but I thought having some answers on X3D-public could also help other
> People.
>
> KR
> Christoph
> --
> Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android Mobiltelefon mit GMX Mail
> gesendet.
> Am 19.01.19, 03:36, Christoph Valentin <christoph.valentin at gmx.at>
> schrieb:
>
>     Hi all,
>     When I will be finished with my application (alpha release "not
>     before 2020"), then I will have a nice little Visual Basic
>     Application for .NET/Windows integrated with an X3D Scene played
>     on BS Contact, made multiuser capable by BS Collaborate.
>     Besides some licensing questions (will my users like to pay for BS
>     Contact? will at least one of my users be willing to buy and run
>     BS Collaborate) I will have some other questions:
>     What about VR?
>     Will it be possible to go downstairs to the VR Cafe and tell the
>     people: here's a nice collaborative application, where everybody
>     can bring his/her own content. Can we play it on your hardware?
>     Will I need to rebase to another X3D Player? Instant Player? Free
>     Wrl? X3DOM? X_ITE? Castle Game Engine? ...?
>     Any hint welcome.
>     Thanks in advance
>     Christoph

*Leonard Daly*