[x3d-public] PTM paper from Michalis Kamburelis; proposed PTM component by Kwan Hee Yoo

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Jan 22 19:16:25 PST 2019

Kwan Hee Yoo, thanks for the PTM updates here in Korea this week.  Projective Texture Mapping (PTM) shows tremendous promise as a way to bridge and connect live/virtual imagery with 3D geometry in virtual worlds.

	Projective Texture Mapping (PTM) implementation and design
	proposed for #X3D v4 by KwanHee Yoo, Chungbuk University
	https://twitter.com/Web3DConsortium/status/1087903951217782784

http://www.web3d.org/event/web3d-korea-chapter-and-isoiec-jtc-1sc24-wg9

SC24 WG9 & Web3D Meetings, 20-25 January 2019, Seoul Korea
02.  17:00-17:45      Projective Texture Mapping (PTM) (with draft specification and draft paper), Kwan Hee Yoo (Chungbuk National U.)

http://www.web3d.org/sites/default/files/attachment/node/2326/edit/02_KwanHeeYoo_ProjectiveTextureMapping_Overview_Web3dSeoul2019January20.pdf
http://www.web3d.org/sites/default/files/attachment/node/2326/edit/02_KwanHeeYoo_ISO_Specification_Draft_ProjectiveTextureMapping_Web3dSeoul2019January20.pdf
http://www.web3d.org/sites/default/files/attachment/node/2326/edit/02_KwanHeeYoo_ProjectiveTextureMapping_DraftPaper-optik20160903.pdf

As a restart point, am happy to note that draft specification prose has been placed into Web3D member-access version control with further review/improvement to follow.

* https://github.com/Web3DConsortium
    X3D/ISO-IEC 19775/ISO-IEC 19775-1/ISO-IEC 19775-1 V4.0/ISO-IEC 19775-1 V4.0 WD1/Part01/components/

* https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D/blob/master/ISO-IEC%2019775/ISO-IEC%2019775-1/ISO-IEC%2019775-1%20V4.0/ISO-IEC%2019775-1%20V4.0%20WD1/Part01/components/ProjectiveTextureMapping.html

Dick Puk and I have done much review work for Kwan Hee Yoo on this proposal over the past few years.  Because PTM has fundamental aspects that are both texture-related and viewpoint-related, it seems best positioned as a new and separate related component.  Further review can confirm (or counter) whether that rationale is indeed correct.

Michalis, if you have done any further work beyond the reference below, could you please ensure that we have the latest greatest from you related to this topic.

Kwan Hee Yoo, let's please follow up prior to that meeting, we need to get your example scenes published along with further information on current open-source implementation.

It was quite interesting to hear speculation this week on potential exemplars, for example using PTM to display security-monitoring videos in full spatial/temporal context in a virtual environment.

We will schedule an X3D Working Group meeting in February to closely consider this work.  Looking forward to comments and further progress together.

On 8/9/2017 2:56 AM, Don Brutzman wrote:
> Publication link in ACM Digital Library:  http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1836049.1836052
>
> On 8/8/2017 10:48 AM, Don Brutzman wrote:
>> Kwan Hee Yoo, can you please look over this PTM paper from Michalis Kamburelis?
>>
>> We need to compare/contrast/correlate your work and his work.
>>
>> Thanks for letting us know what you think.  We can contact Michalis and Roy and working group next

Having fun with X3D Projective Texture Mapping!  8)