[x3d-public] Fw: Avatar Handling / non-standard movement strategies/ input of key strokes ------ Was: Mac-unaware PageUp/PageDown, Viewpoint list, navigation keys?

Joseph D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 23 14:21:19 PST 2019

➢ <field accessType='inputOutput' name='canHaveFocus' type='SFBool' value='false'/>

Hi Doug, That is real nice demo (I hope I can find it again) and shows a lot of work and understanding. Maybe I haven’t looked enough, but I am thinking about Anchors and TouchSensors and Layers?

➢  but the avatar gets the focus any time, when no other geometry has the focus, even, if the avatar is invisible currently.
Why then, do I want to treat my avatar like any other piece of the scene? I lose focus if nothing else has focus and avatar not visible, then must be no focus available and browser must show Panic button? In any event, nothing should have focus-power over my avatar… rant rant
You are doing fine in recommending several layers of automation of select and unselect and taking care of actives and inactives for what might seem to be a specialized application that might be served better as a prototype. I recommend showing some example user code to show how these interfaces are used to aid selection and navigation, even as viewed through the eyes of the avatar, or without the avatar aspect. Especially when you are showing browsers drawing things and working through hierarchies to turn sensors on and off automagically …
➢ highlighting or by drawing a 2-dimensional "frame" around the geometry.

Those two suggestions offer a wide range of options which is why there are no default hlghlighting or selection options for anchors or any environmental.  Compared to html, x3d does not have any style in this at all, and the author has to do it all. Same with other sensors.

Fine Work and Best Regards.
Joe