[x3d-public] PTM paper from Michalis Kamburelis; proposed PTM component by Kwan Hee Yoo

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Jan 23 17:28:28 PST 2019

Many thanks for your in-depth analysis.  Kwan Hee, Dick and I similarly went on a big journey over the years about whether this is inside Shape node or not.  It is interesting and tricky.

Treating PTM capabilities as somewhat similar to a direction projector light source within the scene, similar to other lights, seemed to resolve several logical conflicts.  Yet aspects of texture mapping remain. Hence the current approach treats it as a separate component, defined as a collection of functionality at a similar level in the specification organization.

In the interests of further convergence, if you want to suggest diffs to the current draft that better integrates alternatives you have explored, please feel free to do so.

As promised I will work with Kwan Hee Yoo to get examples online (along with X3D 4.0 XML schema/DTD plus X3DUOM) to facilitate further testing and implementation.  As it turns out, I am sitting next to him here in Seoul and we have agreed to work on further progress during lunch today!

Having fun with X3D Projective Texture Mapping   8)