[x3d-public] Anchor target within scene: code example

Albert Jan Wonnink awonnink at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 26 19:57:32 PST 2019

Hi Joe,

“There is not any html anchor that tells you to exchange one part of the page for another. You need to use the DOM for that, just as in x3d you use the SAI.”

Surely you know that code like

just does that, replace the content of the frame with another. But if you mean that an anchor cannot do this for other html content, then of course you are right. That is why I use the (i)frame in my argument for comparison. And imo the inline tag could be used for this.

“I guess I haven’t seen that example. But the x3d or html anchor does not care whether an iframe or an inline is referenced, it just knows to unload the current document and load the new, or that the scene is the same, but the viewpoint is new.”

The specs here (https://doc.x3dom.org/author/Networking/Anchor.html) clearly allows referencing an (i)frame on the 2d webpage from an anchor within x3d: “Hint: set parameter to target=frame_name to load target url into another frame.”

Albert Jan