[x3d-public] X3DPSAIL no need to wrap simple types

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Jul 5 12:15:08 PDT 2019

Hi John. Frustration at this ongoing PYJNIUS challenge is understandable and something that we share.

This purpose of my response was to follow up on your reply listing fields that you were wrapping.  You provided a list of simple fields that you were wrapping with SF object type. For each one My reply provided you the reference in the X3DJSAIL javadoc that showed the appropriate method was already available for invoking those with simple values. Thus no wrapping needed. I also provided links to corresponding tooltips, which in turn provide convenient links to spec, schemas and other references. This response was intended to facilitate your troubleshooting and explain why wrappers are not needed in those cases.  Thus once again, the bottom line on that topic is that there should be zero need to ever wrap simple types values in python source code.

I am back from multiple travels and look forward to the possibility of some debug sessions over the phone. The challenge remains getting PYJNIUS mappings aligned, not extending or fixing the underlying X3DJSAIL. Providing many cases of HelloWorld.py alternatives unfortunately does not help much (and is not repeatable by me) when there is no accompanying python interpreter trace back of what the problem is.

All of the JAVA examples work, so the return types within the X3DJSAIL library are proven correct.

I look forward to further step by step sleuthing to figure this out. Getting rid of abstract types in the PYJNIUS mapping is an important step. Inspecting the email trail does not make it clear whether you have done that.  You are making changes that I don’t have visibility into, so better synchronization is needed. Hope this explanation helps.

v/r Don

v/r Don

Sent from my handheld device