[x3d-public] X3D meeting minutes 1 MAR 2019: X3Dv4 architecture and event-exchange diagrams, progress review

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 20:19:47 PST 2019

I am getting a better sense now that there is a discussion on how to enable
the DOM event mechanism for X3D events.

Currently, as mentioned, x3dom dispatches the same event ('outputchanged')
for any x3d output event. An event listener function has to look into the
event payload to determine what event happened.

X-ITE does not interact with the DOM. With x_ite_dom.js it does and
dispatches dom events for every output event. The dom events are named
after the fieldname with a 'x3d_' prefix, for example x3d_isOver.

Routes

I suppose the equivalent to routes for DOM nodes is an event listener which
changes the attribute of an element or/and a property of a DOM node. For
HTML, routes would not be very useful since the payload value of events is
not necessarily designed to become directly the value of an attribute. I
think the reason is that events are thought of as part of dynamic, scripted
changes and markup and css more for static, declarative content in HTML.
It might be possible to represent (and implement) x3d events and routes
with dom events and dom event listeners except for the idea that there is a
cascade of many events with a single timestamp.

Not sure how useful this was, Andreas

---on the phone---