[x3d-public] X3D meeting minutes 8 MAR 2019: X3Dv4 progress planning, timeline

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Mar 8 09:46:05 PST 2019

0. *Attendance*  Anita Havele, Vince Marchetti, Nicholas Polys, Dick Puk, Don Brutzman

Plenty to review today, ensuring that our progress continues to be clearly recorded and communicated.

All information in this email is releasable publicly, no separate member-only minutes this week.

----

Members and invited experts are welcome.  We are an open organization.

We meet today, as usual, 0800-0930 pacific.  To join the teleconference:
	Web3D Teleconference
	http://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

The X3D Graphics Working Group addresses all X3D specification issues and coordinates the technical development of future improvements.
	http://www.web3d.org/working-groups/x3d

Each week we report out both public and member-only information - membership has value.  To become a Web3D Consortium member:
	Join the Web3D Consortium
	http://www.web3d.org/join

==================================

1. *Last week's minutes*

	X3D meeting minutes 22 FEB 2019: X3D v4 Development status categories
	http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-March/010188.html

Agenda:
	X3D meeting agenda today
	http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-March/010256.html

Agenda review: looking good.  We added a brief discussion wondering about X3DOM.

==================================

2. *X3DOM release plans*

Wondering when next formal X3DOM open-source release will occur?

Dev version is reportedly ready.  This is needed as a clean foundation for X3Dv4.

	[x3d-public] X3DOM release plans?
	http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-March/010213.html

==================================

3. *Github specification progress*

- HAnim FDIS ready, ISO review nearly complete, .zip files (different logos) checked in
    https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/H-Anim
    https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/H-Anim/tree/master/ISO-IEC%2019774/ISO-IEC%2019774-1/ISO-IEC%2019774-1%20V2.0
    https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/H-Anim/tree/master/ISO-IEC%2019774/ISO-IEC%2019774-2/ISO-IEC%2019774-2%20V2.0

Progress: X3D directory titles are de-spacified for clarity.

    https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D

If anyone has trouble resynchronizing after this big set of changes, please check out a clean clone.

README.md descriptions review:
- Dick and Don are listed as POCs now (change accomplished during our discussion).
- Vince is adding links to the spec-status spreadsheet.

Next meeting preparations, plans:
- tuning CSS and first entries review,
- Humanoid Animation (HAnim)
- Projective Texture Mapping (PTM)

==================================

4. X3D Development restructuring complete, as reported earlier this week

     [x3d-public] X3D meeting minutes 24 FEB 2019: X3D v4 Development page updates
     http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-March/010225.html

Primary work today: review that page for correctness.

     http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_version_4.0_Development

We focused on the descriptions for each category.  Good discussions on each.

2 Capabilities
     2.1 Accepted Capabilities
     2.2 Approved Capabilities
     2.3 Candidate Capabilities
     2.4 Deferred Capabilities
     2.5 Deprecated Capabilities
     2.6 Excluded Capabilities
     2.7 Removed Capabilities

Matching prior meeting decisions, native SVG support moved down to Excluded Capability. Note that event-based interaction by an X3D scene with an SVG image, all within an HTML5 pages, is still expected as a future capability.

Next: editorial smoothing, add mantis links, refresh weekly.

==================================

5. *Timeline schedule discussion*

Multiple good refinements!

http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_version_4.0_Development#Timeline

Timeline
     links to guiding Web3D pages on spec strategy and process,
     link to status tracking spreadsheet,
     we effectively have a Web3D/ISO Working Draft (WD) now,
     we continue adding components/nodes via working group process,
     Implement, evaluate examples, refine, resolve all related issues,
     (currently) Mantis is where issues, draft spec functionality and design tradeoffs are captured, reviewed and approved,
     Apply new prose sections in github spec repository (by Dick and I, many improvements occurred this week),
     Board of Directors consider whether draft spec is a public release to encourage engagement - or not.
     Web3D announces X3D v4 Working Draft availability at Web3D & SIGGRAPH 2019 conferences,
     Working Group continues to add nodes and components,
     Confirm implement/evaluate examples complete
     Excerpted draft spec and implementation details posted for public comment on a per-component basis ~monthly,
     Web3D deadline for new additions to X3Dv4: 16 DEC 2019
     +1 month, final public comments period and editorial work, member review, Board review and approval
     Web3D submits New Work Item Proposal (NWIP) and Committee Draft (CD) to ISO
     ISO dates/deadline for DIS/FDIS/IS proceed
     Work begins on X3Dv4.1 Working Draft (WD)

5.  *Upcoming meetings*

We plan to deliberately iterate this pattern in each meeting:
- Github specification and spec prose,
- X3Dv4 Development page,
- implementing code and evaluating examples, plus
- putting focus on Mantis issues.

Having fun with X3Dv4!