[x3d-public] Progress on Python API all examples compile and run (but do nothing)

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Mar 11 08:18:36 PDT 2019

Thanks for your steady efforts John.

On 3/9/2019 3:34 PM, John Carlson wrote:
> I give you 3 styles of Python API, and three converters from XML to Python!  Please comment on the various styles. Which one do you like best? Worst? I may end up supporting all of them, who knows?
>
> HelloWorld attached.

All three look interesting and similar.

AFAICT these might all be compatible variations on Python syntax, if we get the API bindings correct.  Then the "which style?" question becomes a matter of programmer preference, fitting the task at hand.

Seems like a worthy goal to pursue, either making it work compatibly or else figuring out just what the limitations & tradeoffs might be.

Looking ahead: the next step after "does nothing" will be to serialize itself so that we can confirm no information is lost.  Then round-trip testing against all the X3D Examples will uncover any troublesome edge cases that might exist.  Same path we took when developing X3D JSON Encoding.