[x3d-public] Why CAD Surface Geometry is Inexact | Another Fine Mesh

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Mar 14 09:24:13 PDT 2019

https://blog.pointwise.com/2017/11/29/why-cad-surface-geometry-is-inexact/

Why CAD Surface Geometry is Inexact | Another Fine Mesh

November 29, 2017	by John Chawner

SSI-badgeThe fact that geometry models from a CAD system are inexact may surprise some people. But the explanation provided here by guest authors Benjamin Urick and Benjamin Marussig may be one of the most concise explanations of that fact I’ve seen. They illustrate the reason I say geometry modeling is to mesh generation as turbulence modeling is to CFD. It’s fair to say that the majority of that challenge arises from the intersection curves used to trim surfaces. And here’s why –

Guest Authors:
Dr. Benjamin Urick, nVariate, Inc. (benurick [at] nvariate.com)
Dr. Benjamin Marussig, TU Graz (marussig [at] tugraz.at)

Modern engineering design-analysts rely on Computer-Aided Design (CAD) applications to create geometric models of parts and assemblies. Such models provide necessary input for a variety of design and engineering activities, including computational engineering analysis (Computer-Aided Engineering or CAE), manufacturing operations (Computer-Aided Manufacturing (CAM), additive manufacturing, etc.), metrology, graphics, etc.
[...]