[x3d-public] FW: X3Dv4

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 01:45:17 PDT 2019

>From below:

types?   It seems like X3DOM and X_ITE are already handling some events differently.   Likely this will drive a deathstrike to the standard if events aren’t standardized.  Browsers will all go invent their own event types, and content won’t play across different browsers.  If we adopt HTML5 as a way to create events, that is *independent* of X3D browser, that might be a way to go.

This really needs to be looked at carefully.   One reason that X11 failed to capture the games market was they didn’t get sound events coordinated with graphics events in time.  I do not know if this is still an issue with Linux.

I am pretty sure there’s already a way to coordinate things in time with timestamp.  I am not sure how many browsers use the timestamp in events.   We may need to coordinate events across the network for the NetworkSensor.  OpenCroquet/OpenCobalt may have a way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croquet_Project#Synchronization_architecture https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Cobalt#Synchronization_architecture
(written in Squeak).

John

Sent from Mail for Windows 10