[x3d-public] Agenda X3D meeting 9 May 2019

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Thu May 9 10:16:43 PDT 2019

1. Regular meeting planned for Friday 9 MAY 2019 (08-0930 pacific) to focus on:

- Web3D and SIGGRAPH 2019 preparations
- Physically Based Materials and Lighting

TODO review: All information in minutes is suitable for public release.  Member-only information is posted separately.


Members and invited experts are welcome.  We are an open organization.

We meet regularly on Fridays 0800-0930 pacific.  To join the teleconference:
	Web3D Teleconference

The X3D Graphics Working Group addresses all X3D specification issues and coordinates the technical development of future improvements.

Each week we report out both public and member-only information - membership has value.  To become a Web3D Consortium member:
	Join the Web3D Consortium

Information inputs are always welcome.  With much X3D activity occurring there is typically plenty to review each week, ensuring that our progress continues to be clearly recorded and communicated.


2. *Prior meeting minutes, recent highlights*

At this point we discuss recent meetings and current developments.

	[x3d-public] X3D minutes 3 MAY 2019: C/C++/C# and Python progress, PointProperties validation for X3Dv4

Note that definition of XML Schema/DTD/Schematron/Tooltips led to some refinements of PointProperties spec prose.  Hoping someone can check the Mantis bug and GitHub document, as noted there.

Also of broad interest:


	[x3d-public] X3D Python availability, planning for releases at Web3D 2019
	"Incredibly It Is All X3D."

a. Do we need to have a volunteer to represent Web3D and X3D in the WebXR group?  Seems like a valuable role for someone, especially if interested in X3Dv4.1 efforts.  Having a 5-minute weekly update on WebXR activities might be useful. Web3D liaison to W3C for WebXR would be a formal position.

Agenda review: what else?


3. *Finalize Web3D 2019 submissions*

Brief discussion to resolve final questions.

a. X3D Semantic Web Workshop

b. X3Dv4 Implementations Tutorial


4. *Include PBR Physically Based Rendering in X3Dv4 Architecture specification*

Michalis Kamburelis will update us on his extensive work in this area:


- What is PBR and why do we want it in X3D?
- How to add PBR to X3D?
- Specification changes, to include PBR and related features

Goal outcome for today: define list of sections for X3Dv4 Architecture specification draft.


5. *Recent and Upcoming Events*

*Web3D 2019 Conference registration is open* hooray!  Discount provided for ACM members.


Web3D and SIGGRAPH registration independent of each other.


Communications team meets weekly to continue promoting Web3D, X3D and HAnim.


6. *References and Resources*

	X3Dv4 Implementations Status


	X3Dv4 Development page

	X3D Specification Relationships

	Mantis Issues (requires member login, twice)

	Web3D Specifications on Github: X3D (members can request access)


7. *Upcoming topics*

Next week: TBD (Don traveling)

- Projective Texture Mapping (PTM) component.
a. Mantis issue 1255 created for keeping track of status.
b. TODO Add zip of spec/examples/information that has been submitted on mantis issue
c. Prose already present in github components directory as ProjectiveTextureMapping.html
      43  Projective Texture Mapping Component
d. TODO Add example scenes to X3D Basic Examples Archive
e. TODO List existing implementations, then issue call for additional implementations.

Topics list:

- Annotation Component:
a. Much work already accomplished.  Renewed review in Design Printing Scanning (DPS) group.
b. Time to land any existing draft prose in github specifications, and review what work is occurring.

- X3D Architecture Design and Event Passing, compare implementations.  Specification writeup planned late May.
a. how have X3DOM and X_ITE each implemented events?
b. What differences exist?
c. Are ROUTE connections consistent?
d. X3DOM is still missing some important/simple Event Utility nodes - is there a problem?
e. Highlight how does syntax disambiguate handling of HTML5 Script and X3D Script?
f. Reviewing our tagging of Mantis issues as #X3Dv4 for completeness.
g. Ensure that goals and concepts on relationships between HTML5 and x3D are clearly expressed.

- MetadataSet containerField implementation efforts, Mantis issue resolution

- Tagging and prioritizing Mantis issues.

- Numerous things to drive to completion, who is doing what? Now listed on X3Dv4 Implementations page.

- Sound and Audio implements

Related work:
- X3D and other BOFs at SIGGRAPH, how to best execute these? Anita is driving.
- Carto BOF, are there any candidates for that?  So far, none.
- X3DOM release status?  Expected for Web3D 2019.


No major showstoppers are noted, rather we continue getting closer to a comprehensive X3Dv4-HTML5 architecture each week.

Steadily progressing with X3Dv4!  8)

all the best, Don
Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br       brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA   +1.831.656.2149
X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman

More information about the x3d-public mailing list