[x3d-public] Agenda X3D meeting 9 May 2019

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Thu May 9 10:16:43 PDT 2019

1. Regular meeting planned for Friday 9 MAY 2019 (08-0930 pacific) to focus on:

- Web3D and SIGGRAPH 2019 preparations
- Physically Based Materials and Lighting

TODO review: All information in minutes is suitable for public release.  Member-only information is posted separately.

----

Members and invited experts are welcome.  We are an open organization.

We meet regularly on Fridays 0800-0930 pacific.  To join the teleconference:
	Web3D Teleconference
	http://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

The X3D Graphics Working Group addresses all X3D specification issues and coordinates the technical development of future improvements.
	http://www.web3d.org/working-groups/x3d

Each week we report out both public and member-only information - membership has value.  To become a Web3D Consortium member:
	Join the Web3D Consortium
	http://www.web3d.org/join

Information inputs are always welcome.  With much X3D activity occurring there is typically plenty to review each week, ensuring that our progress continues to be clearly recorded and communicated.

==================================

2. *Prior meeting minutes, recent highlights*

At this point we discuss recent meetings and current developments.

	[x3d-public] X3D minutes 3 MAY 2019: C/C++/C# and Python progress, PointProperties validation for X3Dv4
	http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-May/010662.html

Note that definition of XML Schema/DTD/Schematron/Tooltips led to some refinements of PointProperties spec prose.  Hoping someone can check the Mantis bug and GitHub document, as noted there.

Also of broad interest:

	Web3D 2019 - REGISTRATION NOW OPEN
	http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-May/010660.html

	[x3d-public] X3D Python availability, planning for releases at Web3D 2019
	http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-May/010690.html
	"Incredibly It Is All X3D."

a. Do we need to have a volunteer to represent Web3D and X3D in the WebXR group?  Seems like a valuable role for someone, especially if interested in X3Dv4.1 efforts.  Having a 5-minute weekly update on WebXR activities might be useful. Web3D liaison to W3C for WebXR would be a formal position.

Agenda review: what else?

==================================

3. *Finalize Web3D 2019 submissions*

Brief discussion to resolve final questions.

a. X3D Semantic Web Workshop

b. X3Dv4 Implementations Tutorial

==================================

4. *Include PBR Physically Based Rendering in X3Dv4 Architecture specification*

Michalis Kamburelis will update us on his extensive work in this area:

https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/Include-PBR-%28PhysicalMaterial-and-related-concepts%29-in-the-official-X3D-specification

- What is PBR and why do we want it in X3D?
- How to add PBR to X3D?
- Specification changes, to include PBR and related features

Goal outcome for today: define list of sections for X3Dv4 Architecture specification draft.

==================================

5. *Recent and Upcoming Events*

*Web3D 2019 Conference registration is open* hooray!  Discount provided for ACM members.

	https://web3d2019.web3d.org/registration

Web3D and SIGGRAPH registration independent of each other.

SIGGRAPH 2019
	https://s2019.siggraph.org

Communications team meets weekly to continue promoting Web3D, X3D and HAnim.

==================================

6. *References and Resources*

	X3Dv4 Implementations Status
	http://www.web3d.org/x3dv4-implementations

	X3Dv4
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d4

	X3Dv4 Development page
	http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_version_4.0_Development

	X3D Specification Relationships
	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSpecificationRelationships.png

	Mantis Issues (requires member login, twice)
	www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis

	Web3D Specifications on Github: X3D (members can request access)
	https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D

==================================

7. *Upcoming topics*

Next week: TBD (Don traveling)

- Projective Texture Mapping (PTM) component.
a. Mantis issue 1255 created for keeping track of status.
b. TODO Add zip of spec/examples/information that has been submitted on mantis issue
      http://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1255
c. Prose already present in github components directory as ProjectiveTextureMapping.html
      43  Projective Texture Mapping Component
https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D/blob/master/ISO-IEC19775/ISO-IEC19775-1/ISO-IEC19775-1v4.0/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD1/Part01/components/ProjectiveTextureMapping.html
d. TODO Add example scenes to X3D Basic Examples Archive
e. TODO List existing implementations, then issue call for additional implementations.

Topics list:

- Annotation Component:
a. Much work already accomplished.  Renewed review in Design Printing Scanning (DPS) group.
b. Time to land any existing draft prose in github specifications, and review what work is occurring.

- X3D Architecture Design and Event Passing, compare implementations.  Specification writeup planned late May.
a. how have X3DOM and X_ITE each implemented events?
b. What differences exist?
c. Are ROUTE connections consistent?
d. X3DOM is still missing some important/simple Event Utility nodes - is there a problem?
e. Highlight how does syntax disambiguate handling of HTML5 Script and X3D Script?
f. Reviewing our tagging of Mantis issues as #X3Dv4 for completeness.
g. Ensure that goals and concepts on relationships between HTML5 and x3D are clearly expressed.

- MetadataSet containerField implementation efforts, Mantis issue resolution

- Tagging and prioritizing Mantis issues.

- Numerous things to drive to completion, who is doing what? Now listed on X3Dv4 Implementations page.

- Sound and Audio implements

Related work:
- X3D and other BOFs at SIGGRAPH, how to best execute these? Anita is driving.
- Carto BOF, are there any candidates for that?  So far, none.
- X3DOM release status?  Expected for Web3D 2019.

No major showstoppers are noted, rather we continue getting closer to a comprehensive X3Dv4-HTML5 architecture each week.

Steadily progressing with X3Dv4!  8)