[x3d-public] Vulcan, Metal, WebGPU impact on x3d NG

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Tue May 14 09:32:51 PDT 2019

Some background info first.

Web components are a means to create new nodes within HTML that use the
HTML parser and are more-or-less fully integrated into DOM. New nodes
are descendants of fundamental node classes. The developer writes the
code necessary to interpret the attributes of the node and provide the
functionality.

Google has developed a web component to display a glTF model. My
understanding at this time is that the component displays one model with
all of the features that THREE.dis provides for lighting, environment
maps, texturing, animation, etc. Anyone who might be saying that this
web component does all of the work, does not really understand 3D scene
composition, nor 3D interactions.

Note that OS and Safari are a different matter. Apple appears to be
going down a different road for the display of 3D content. Something
like QuickTime for Rx. It does not appear to be an in-browser
capability. Canary is Google's nightly development build and may be
unstable.

XSeen currently does not use Web Components. The current public release
(0.7) and development release (0.8) use an internal parser for the
attributes (HTML does the tags). V0.8 has been focused on AR (using the
phone camera as a background) features. I am planning on a migration to
web components for V0.9. V0.8 will be out before SIGGRAPH and include
new tag/attribute documentation. I won't rewrite the API documentation
until I figure out my plans for V0.9.

The biggest issues for AR I have so far encountered are:

 1. No DIS implementation of Simultaneous Localization And Mapping
    (SLAM) algorithm for tracking translational movement
 2. iOS restricts access to the phone camera in a browser. Safari can
    use it; however, the default configuration of Safari does not use
    WebGL. Chrome and other browsers do not have access to the camera. I
    last checked about 6 weeks ago, things may have changed since then.

Leonard Daly

*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant
LA ACM SIGGRAPH Past Chair