[x3d-public] X3D minutes 17 May 2019: X3Dv4 specification update planning

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Fri May 17 08:46:19 PDT 2019

1. Short meeting today Friday 17 MAY 2019 (0800-0840 pacific) to review status and progress.

Attendees: Vince Marchetti, Nicholas Polys, Dick Puk, Don Brutzman.  Regrets: Anita Havele.

Anita posted announcement that Web3D 2019 registration is open!  Early bird discounts are currently active until 15 June 2019 (only four weeks away).

	http://web3d2019.web3d.org

	http://web3d2019.web3d.org/registration

Last week's minutes:

	X3D meeting 10 May 2019: Physically Based Rendering going into specification, X3Dv4 implementation updates
	http://web3d.org/mailman/private/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-May/010702.html

All information in today's minutes is approved for public release.

- - - - -

2. *Specification update planning*

Making modifications in github for

a. *Physically based rendering (PBR) and lighting*

We have blocked out all the sections needed in last week's minutes.

Dick and Don will enter draft sections in github with topic sentences and brief descriptions.

We will then work with Michalis to flesh this out more completely, adapting his detailed online writeups into the specification prose needed for ISO review.

b. *Event model composition, HTML5 and X3D*

Planned writing of the draft is for next month.  This will condense and consolidate what we've accomplished to date, namely Web3D 2017/2018 sessions and various email threads.

Reviewing the specification summary will help us then check X3DOM and X_ITE for compatibility.

Following that review of codebases, we will then produce a list of suggested work to align the two implementations.  We expect to publish that work at Web3D 2019 as a roadmap for implementation convergence by the end of the year.

- - - - -

3. *Possible release of first X3Dv4 Working Draft at Web3D 2019*

The specification assets and implementation assets are steadily building.  We will definitely have a full, clear X3Dv4 story online by then.

The X3D Working Group also has the opportunity to publish a Working Draft at that point.
- At a minimum, that can be released to Web3D Consortium members.
- The Web3D Board of Directors has the option to approve public release of that draft.
- A decidable action should be presented by this working group to the Board in June.

Motivations for a public release include
- to provide a clear picture of the scope and depth of these efforts,
- encourage implementations, examples and evaluation,
- encourage membership and broad participation in Consortium activities, and
- give a good roadmap for conclusion of X3Dv4 contributions in December 2019.

- - - - -

4. Next week.  We will have another short progress-report meeting.

Thanks everyone.  Having fun with X3Dv4!   8)