[x3d-public] Most portable way to wrap X3D Player by App

GL info at 3dnetproductions.com
Fri May 31 15:32:57 PDT 2019

I feel exactly the same way. Too many times I've tried relying on some company's offering in my own projects, only to have them change things out or cancel, thereby breaking my work. At this point, my goals are to build solutions that are as free of dependencies as can be. This means, I am not only gearing up to create a custom GUI, but I've also began the process of creating a 3D browser entirely optimized to the specific needs I wish to fulfill. This is one raison why I like X3D's open standards; code that I wrote 20 years ago remain valid today, and I trust that I can count on X3D for the next 20 years.

In your case, I'd suggest building your own application with C++ instead of VB, thus allowing you better control of what you're doing. It's more work, but it's work much less likely to let you down in the long run. We did trust web browsers before, but look at where we are now. So I am personally quite reluctant in going that way again, with what seems to me now like a house of cards. Good as a temporary stepping stone to bring users in no doubt, but for a permanent fully-interactive 3D world, the previous approach is a no brainer. GL

* * * Interactive Multimedia - Internet Management * * *

  * *  Virtual Reality -- Application Programming  * *

    *   3D Net Productions  3dnetproductions.com   *