[x3d-public] Normal vectors for points and lines?

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Nov 28 10:31:04 PST 2019

It would seem that we are going to allow Normal nodes in PointSet nodes - not sure if consensus was declared on that yet.  Any contrary issues will be good to know.

For example: X3dMeshDesignPattern.x3d
https://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForAdvancedModeling/Scanning/X3dMeshDesignPatternIndex.html

Wondering, will we allow Normal nodes within LineSet and IndexedLineSet also?  (They are defined in the example also.)

Of note is that X_ITE renders scene in the preceding page correctly, no complaints about Normal nodes.

Seems logical to consistently allow Normal with all such geometry nodes, preserving data-structure patterns also helps preserve data.

IF that is agreeable then I will update DOCTYPE x3d-4.0.dtd and schema x3d-4.0.xsd and X3DUOM accordingly.

How to render lines with normals would then seem to be another capability to integrate in revised rendering definitions of the X3Dv4 specification.