[x3d-public] first Viewpoint in Inline

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 19:17:14 PDT 2019

Section 7.2.2 point d)
(https://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/core.html#BindableChildrenNodes)
spells out that a Viewpoint in an Inline cannot become the first bound
Viewpoint, in any situation, even if the main scene does not contain a
Viewpoint node itself.

This rule makes it impractical to use the construct of a simple
container scene which only has a single Inline node which then has the
actual content including an appropriate first Viewpoint. Such a
construct can be really useful.

What is the rationale behind that rule ? Probably I am overlooking
something but I cannot immediately recognize the underlying reasoning.

Thanks, -Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch
Waltham, MA 02453