[x3d-public] Web3DUX "wannabe" working group minutes 23 OCT 2019: mission statement
Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV)
brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Oct 23 11:14:31 PDT 2019
Attendees: Feng Liu, Amela Sadagic, Don Brutzman. Regrets Nicholas Polys.
We plan to schedule a weekly meeting at 1015-1100 weekly, skipping some weeks based on participant availability. To join please see
Web3D Teleconference Information
1. We worked on mission statement for working group. Best so far:
The Web3D User Experience (Web3DUX) Working Group's mission is to collaboratively establish best practices and standardized capabilities that support rich user experience (UX), intuitive navigation, and effective interaction techniques for a variety of 3D Web technologies.
TODO: distinguish navigation and interaction? Is navigation a subset of interaction? Check X3D spec...
Pointing device sensor component
Interestingly different varieties within these terms include
User-Interaction Tasks Scene Interaction
- Navigation - Local client only, no influence on other clients
- Selection and Manipulation - Shared state in local system or on remote server
- System Control - Local or remote
Curious case: shared state with multiple users viewing and navigating may have no interaction effects on each other or on shared state.
It is a really interesting discussion, as ever there is a diversity of terms and reaching a shared understanding often reveals hidden contradictions and gaining mutual insight.
2. We broached the topic of turntable navigation as an example where best practices have the potential to mature to the level of specification candidates. For example:
New ‘turntable’ navigation mode in X3DOM
Navigation Modes - X3DOM Documentation: Tutorials
FreeWRL VRML/X3D browser
Castle Game Engine: Navigation component
Turntable navigation is a good candidate for some really helpful UX evaluation.
3. Goal next week: continue work on charter, emphasizing specific outcomes and activities.
all the best, Don
Don Brutzman Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270, MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA +1.831.656.2149
X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 20065 bytes
More information about the x3d-public