[x3d-public] Status: JSON Schema

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Sep 22 15:34:22 PDT 2019

Thanks for noting this advancement John, it is a very useful milestone to us.

When ready we need to go the the latest version, now labeled 2019-09 (published 8 days ago).

There is a helpful-looking section, "Migrating from older drafts"
https://json-schema.org/specification.html#migrating-from-older-drafts

Our latest version (primarily authored by Roy Walmsley with some updates by you) is available at

* http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dUnifiedObjectModel-4.0.json
* http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dJsonSchemaDocumentation3.3/x3d-3.3-JSONSchema.html
and
* https://sourceforge.net/p/x3d/code/HEAD/tree/www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dUnifiedObjectModel-4.0.json

The points in the migration sections look pretty straightforward.  How about we go through these in another two weeks or so? TODO, lets
a. upgrade current manually produced version of X3D JSON Schema, then
b. autogenerate X3D JSON Schema using X3DUOM.
c. validate with JSON schema tools when available, we can ask around there for support.
d. update all tool support and all models in X3D Examples Archives.
e. outline what ISO/IEC 19776-5 X3D JSON Encoding specification will look like next year.
    http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSpecificationRelationships.png

Additional references, now better organized at:

	X3D Specifications: Schema and DOCTYPE Validation
	https://www.web3d.org/specifications/contents.html#JSON

* coderextreme/X3DJSONLD: X3D JSON loader and node.js express web server for serving files from localhost
   https://github.com/coderextreme/X3DJSONLD
   https://coderextreme.net/X3DJSONLD/src/main/html/index.html

* X3D JavaScript Object Notation (JSON) Encoding
   https://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_JSON_Encoding

* X3D to JSON Stylesheet Converter
   https://www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/X3dToJson.html

* Roy Walmsley, Don Brutzman and John Carlson, A JSON Encoding for X3D,
   ACM SIGGRAPH Web3D 2016 Conference, Anaheim California USA, 22-24 August 2016 (presentation, .pdf).
   https://savage.nps.edu/Savage/JsonEncodingForX3D.Web3D2016.pdf
   https://savage.nps.edu/Savage/JsonEncodingForX3D.Web3D2016.slides.pdf

Have fun with X3D JSON!  8)