[x3d-public] node-java X3DJSAIL and 1 example that works, and one that doesn't

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 06:40:33 PDT 2020

Hi John,

x_ite just follows standard SAI, internal or external:

//get Browser
browser=X3D.getBrowser(); //X3D is global defined by x_ite.js
//get current scene
scene=browser.currentScene;
//make shape node
shape=scene.createNode('Shape');
//make box node
box=scene.createNode('Box');
//set geometry field
shape.geometry=box;
//add as root node (for example)
scene.addRootNode(shape);

For me the easiest way to experiment with scripting like this, is to
use the Chrome dev tools console with a simple scene like:
https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/UniversalMediaPanoramas/desert3X_ITE.html
Following the steps will give you a white box visible in the active scene.

x3dom uses the DOM as an interface to the scene. So you create DOM
elements using HTML5 methods and add those to the Scene DOM element.
There may be a way to avoid using the DOM and use internal, SAI like
functions. For example, the javascript domNode._x3dom property gives
you access to fields and methods for a node. But usually it is easiest
and most interoperable on a HTML5 page to use the DOM.

The field names are the same across browser but the internal
representation of field values (as a javascript object) is very
different. So one cannot use the results of SAI x_ite calls directly
with x3dom, or vice versa. It is necesssary to go through encodings.

I do not think X3DJSAIL deals a lot with Browser or ExecutionContext
SAI functions since they are tied to the specific browser but I may be
wrong.

Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch